• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sealing a juvenile record

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Ohio

My daughter had her day in court today. She was charged with assault after a verbal confrontation with her step-sister became physical.

This is my daughter's second (and hopefully last) juvenile offense ... the first was underage consumption 2 years ago. (She is now 16 years old).

When she turns 18, she wants to seal her juvenile records. What will she need to do to seal her record?

I don't know if this is relevant or not, but she really is a good kid. The assault charge never should have happened ... she was defending herself against her step-sister who is 7 inches taller and 156 pounds heavier than my daughter. The drinking incident was typical teenage experimentation (I'm not saying it was right, but I experimented when I was a teenager, too ...I just didn't get caught), and she did go through the court ordered drug and alcohol program. She has held a job since she was 14 years old, and is very responsible. Since her underage consumption charge, she has been the model teenager ... I have had no other trouble with her. Will the judge look at this when considering sealing her juvenile record?

I just don't want her to start "adulthood" with a juvenile record hanging over her head.

Was your daughter actually convicted of either one of the charges?
She plead 'admit' to both charges. Is there a difference in her pleading 'admit', or being convicted?

The reason she plead 'admit' to the assault charge is because this has been going on since September, and she just wanted it to be over with. It is a very long, drawn out story...she did plead 'deny' at her first court appearance, then today we went in for pre-trial and spoke to the prosecuting attorney. We also got to speak with the lead probation officer, and she told us what she would recommend to the judge for sentancing. After speaking with them, and then having a private conference with my daughter, she decided to get it over with and changed her plea to 'admit'. So, no...she didn't go to trial for either of these charges, so she was not technically convicted of either charge.

I've often wondered about the difference ... I was arrested at age 23 and charged with criminal mischief ... I plead guilty. When filling out job applications, the question "Have you ever been convicted of a crime" has always stumped me ... I always answer that I plead guilty to the crime, and explain the nature of my crime ... just to be on the safe side.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">