• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sears Fiasco

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state?Alabama While I usually pay the bills my darling husband has always taken care of his Sears account. Today we recieved a call saying that because of low and untimely payments his Sears account has been put in default and they are requiring immediate settlement.
My question is, paying it off is not the problem, but the method they are asking. When I inquired about documentation of this and where to send the payment I was informed that RMA/City Bank are only accepting payments done over the phone directly into my checking account. Like a phone by check. I am not comfortable with this at all. Who am I to know who is on the other end of the phone line let alone confirmation that the payment was received by the correct party. When I asked about documentation supporting settlement, the guy said that he would fax me something as opposed to mailing it because it would be quicker. I was told I have until 2/23/05 to pay this off so I would prefer to have something mailed to me. The guy on the phone was trying his best to get me to settle it today with no verfication of the settlement. What is my best course. Surely a cashiers check sent to the appropriate address and department should be acceptable. I would be greatful for any advice on how to approach this.



sound fishy, tell them to send you something by mail. Also call sears cc your self and find out if your sears card is in default


Typical CA nonsense. Never,ever pay a collection agency by phone. You are correct in being concerned.

RMA is one of the "collection agencies" used by Sears/Citibank USA, maybe the only one. As such they are bound the the laws of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. Send a "Cease and Desist" letter by certified mail to RMA stating that you/your husband will only communicate by mail and not by phone. You can also demand that RMA "validate" this debt. For definitions and examples of C&D letters go to either www.creditboards.com or www.creditinfocenter.com. I no longer have the exact link to the example letters on the "CIC" board but Ladynred is one of the moderators and could give you a direct link (the structure of the CIC board has changed since I was last on it).

I also sugggest you put "Fair Debt Collection Practices Act" in your browser and bookmark it in case you need to reference and sections for WRITTEN communications with RMA.

If you/your husband want to pay them you might try what is called "Pay for Delete". You can learn more about Pay for Delete (PFD) on www.creditboards.com.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential