• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Section 8 neighbor - how to get rid of them

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MissEden

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Hello everyone. I am having some issues that I need help with.

My neighbor has section 8 tenants and I need them gone! I am at my wits end and cannot take it anymore. This has nothing to do with her social status, she just is a neighbor from hell.

I own a two-family home, so does my neighbor. Our driveways are shoulder to shoulder and our tenants apartments are both off the driveways so the doors are across from each other. The neighbor has two children that ring my tenants bell all the time. 3am, 7am, 9am, 10pm, all hours of the day when they are outside playing. They are 4 and 6 years old. They constantly run up and down my driveway, throw chairs at my tenants door, run and slam into the fence door to my backyard, throw rocks at my windows, pull grass out of my front law, rip apart my shrubs, etc. They're also outside screaming all ours of the day and the mother has beat her kids on my driveway numerous times. CPS has been involved twice.

I've talked to the landlord and he said that he asked her to move out two months ago, he apologized and said that there is nothing more that he can do except for complain. He said that he has no problem with me personally addressing his tenant, so that's why I did. She said that they're not doing anything wrong, but yet she continues to wreak havoc!

What can I do to get her out of there? Who should I complain to?

Btw, I have security cameras around the property and have evidence of their daily chaotic shenanigans!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
One has to wonder what happened each time these things were reported to the police...

MissEden

One has to wonder what happened each time these things were reported to the police...
Most of the time, the police left without doing anything. They didn't even write a report. The two times that they did write a report, the Administration for Children's Services got involved. However, even with proof of the terrible abuse and the 6 year old running away in the middle of the night, nothing was done except for some parent counseling.

It's literally everyday. I hear them screaming at 7:30am, the mom is slapping around one child while the other one is trying to break down my fence door.

Gail in Georgia

Your neighbors landlord is a wimp. He can do more than "ask' her to move out. If there are significant issues this tenant can lose her Section 8 voucher.

The fact he says YOU can handle the issue shows that his main interest is simply collecting the monthly rent from the local Housing Authority.

Continue contacting the police to have a trail of records regarding this and then either tell this lazy landlord you'll be contacting this womans caseworker or you expect him to do it.

Gail

FarmerJ

Add nanny type cams for outdoor use and record record record, so when you make complaints to the police about damages to your property and eventually end up in court suing mommie dearest you can show the court your videos too. just don't do audio BUT if she is screaming at the kids that loudly and it includes bad language I am curious if your phone is sensitive enough to pick it up if you were to make the 911 call from outside?

adjusterjack

What can I do to get her out of there? Who should I complain to?
Nothing and no one.

There is nothing you can do except maybe sell your house and move.

That's what I had to do when I lived next door to low life trash neighbors only it took me 11 years to realize that they would outlive and outlast me.

You never win against low life trash because they have nothing, have no respect for others, and have nothing to lose while they raise yet another generation of low life trash who will, in turn, populate the earth with their spawn.

:D

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Nothing and no one.

There is nothing you can do except maybe sell your house and move.

That's what I had to do when I lived next door to low life trash neighbors only it took me 11 years to realize that they would outlive and outlast me.

You never win against low life trash because they have nothing, have no respect for others, and have nothing to lose while they raise yet another generation of low life trash who will, in turn, populate the earth with their spawn.

:D
Section 8 = trash? Is that what you think? Or is it just, poor = trash?

DeenaCA

The housing authority can't take any action based on a phone call from a neighbor. They can take action based on an eviction notice served to the tenant with a copy to the agency.

Participants in the housing choice voucher program ("Section 8") are subject to termination of assistance if they commit "serious or repeated" lease violations or if they are evicted for cause. So the landlord would need to do something, but it doesn't sound like he's willing. The landlord can terminate tenancy during the lease term for "good cause" including disturbance of neighbors, destruction of property, or housekeeping habits. (See the landlord's contract with the housing authority at https://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/documents/huddoc?id=52641.pdf.) So it's not accurate for the landlord to claim that there is nothing he can do.

FarmerJ

MissEden since you have a two family home I would imagine you should already know how hard it can be to get a tenant out when the reasons are anything other than non payment. This is why to keep calling the police when there is damage done to your home AFTER you have installed cameras to record the outside of your property because it really does take a lot of proof when its something other than non pay.

HRZ

As a ( retired) LL , it's not up to me to moniter the social behavior of my tenants or my neighbors ...and even if there is misbehavior....your telling me about it is likely mere hearsay even if I wanted them out and were seeking a legal basis to do so. TEnants have a big pile of rights ...if you want them out its sort of up to you to make a pile of accurate on target complaints with any lawfully acquired videos you have to any relevant agency like police or CPS ..but not,wearing out your credibility over unfounded or trivial complaints.

I fully suspect 18 out of 20 complaints will hit the do nothing file...so be it.

BE are you are focused on destructive or disruptive behavior ..a few poorly chosen words may completely discredit you ....

MissEden

Add nanny type cams for outdoor use and record record record, so when you make complaints to the police about damages to your property and eventually end up in court suing mommie dearest you can show the court your videos too. just don't do audio BUT if she is screaming at the kids that loudly and it includes bad language I am curious if your phone is sensitive enough to pick it up if you were to make the 911 call from outside?
I have security cameras set up around my house, 2 of which are on that driveway. One shows the fence door and my tenants door, and the other shows the front of the driveway where the kids throw rocks and the mom beats them. I have cell recordings of the mom yelling and threatening her kids.

I honestly don't care about her beating the kids. ACS got involved and ignored it. I just don't want them damaging my property anymore and annoying my tenants.

Should I call the police every time they go wild and start acting like wild animals on my property?

MissEden

The housing authority can't take any action based on a phone call from a neighbor. They can take action based on an eviction notice served to the tenant with a copy to the agency.

Participants in the housing choice voucher program ("Section 8") are subject to termination of assistance if they commit "serious or repeated" lease violations or if they are evicted for cause. So the landlord would need to do something, but it doesn't sound like he's willing. The landlord can terminate tenancy during the lease term for "good cause" including disturbance of neighbors, destruction of property, or housekeeping habits. (See the landlord's contract with the housing authority at https://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/documents/huddoc?id=52641.pdf.) So it's not accurate for the landlord to claim that there is nothing he can do.

I don't think that the landlord cares either because the rent is getting paid either way.

MissEden

MissEden since you have a two family home I would imagine you should already know how hard it can be to get a tenant out when the reasons are anything other than non payment. This is why to keep calling the police when there is damage done to your home AFTER you have installed cameras to record the outside of your property because it really does take a lot of proof when its something other than non pay.
I already have security cameras set up which shows them damaging my property numerous times. The kids running up my driveway, slamming into the fence door (which now needs to be replaced) and throwing rocks at my windows has become a daily ritual. Is that something that I should be calling the police for, or should I wait until it gets worse? (like the time they were throwing lawn chairs at the house!)

I've been a LL for 12 years and have never had this kind of problem before with any of my tenants, and have never been disturbed by any neighboring tenants either. This is the first section 8 in the neighborhood and I am horrified.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">