• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Security alarm

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pross001

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

If I post a sign on a door, or on a vending machine or etc, that says 'Security alarm connected to police department' does the alarm really need to be connected to the police department?

Mass_Shyster

No.

If you really want to get technical, the security alarm IS connected to the police department. They're both attached to the same planet.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
However, if somebody relies on this representation and is harmed as a result of said reliance, it could result in some liability. Sure, it's a stretch - but stranger things have happened.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
However, if somebody relies on this representation and is harmed as a result of said reliance, it could result in some liability. Sure, it's a stretch - but stranger things have happened.
One of the most popular and inexpensive anti-burglary tools is the alarm/video sign. Never mind that you don't have any of that equipment installed. :cool:

You Are Guilty

I think I know where you were going with this (if the situation was a sign that said "this area under constant video surveillance by our private security", then you would be correct), but this is an exception to that rule.

There is no legal obligation on the part of the police in this fine country of ours to ever protect a particular individual. Thus, without a legal duty, there can never be a legal breach.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I think I know where you were going with this (if the situation was a sign that said "this area under constant video surveillance by our private security", then you would be correct), but this is an exception to that rule.

There is no legal obligation on the part of the police in this fine country of ours to ever protect a particular individual. Thus, without a legal duty, there can never be a legal breach.
Well, I was thinking of the property owner who represents a certain thing and harm is caused by reliance upon that representation.

Like I said - definitely a stretch

You Are Guilty

That works for any example not involving the police, which is what I assumed you meant.

The courts/legislatures carved out the exception for police because if they did not, every time a member of the public was hurt or injured in a crime, they would have a potential cause of action against the police for negligence. Such a scenario, while making plaintiffs' attorneys very happy in their pants, would quickly clog the entire judicial system with nonsense cases.

Vycor

I'd like to assume that if its YOUR house you can have whatever sign you want. But if you have a tenant and they are under the impression, based on this sign, that there is an active security alarm, that may be considered "false advertising" in a way or something of that nature... then again, if its not in your lease who knows... thats my two cents

BTW, a security alarm does not mean its connected to the police. My alarm for instance dials out to a central station who are under instructions to contact a certain list of people, NOT the police. You are not required to have it contact the police or any central station. However there may be laws in your area pertaining to having an audible alarm signal that does not connect to a central alarm company. So be careful of that... but an alarm that contacts a 3rd party, not illegal, however if that 3rd party contacts the police they may fine you without a permit if they were contacted by another party on the basis that a security alarm contacted them rather then an actual person making the call to police/central alarm, since its an electronic device.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">