• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Security Deposit estimates & timing to complete work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KarstenQC

What is the name of your state? Arizona
I am ready to draft the letter to my last tenants about why they aren't getting their cleaning and security deposit back. It is the first time I have had to do this and have a couple questions.
1) if cleaning costs are more than the cleaning deposit, can I deduct from the security deposit? I am personally doing the cleaning, what should I charge per hour?
2) the damages to things like rv gates and windows in an outdoor workshop - these will not be completed in time for the 14 day letter - if I have written estimates, do I use that? How much time do I have to actually get receipts of finished work?
3) If I decide to leave some of the damage (I am selling the house and will deduct from selling price) - what would I need to do for the "receipt" for the tenant?

All in all, the cleaning and security deposit was $1650. Cleaning and the potential repairs are twice that much (on the conservative side). I just want to be done with it, but I also don't like that they disrespected my property - otherwise I would hand them a check and move on. Looking for some reasonableness feedback.

FlyingRon

I do not believe there is any distinction in Arizona laws between cleaning/security deposits. They are treated the same.

You get no credit for being "disrespected." If you're going to get upset over such things, you don't have the proper disposition to be a landlord.

Get estimates for the actual damages/cleaning required. You only have 14 days to get this list of items and costs to the tenant by law. After you do that, you're free to shop around or do the work yourself.

Note that you can only claim things over normal wear and tear, and to claim cleaning it has to be something over the usual standards of messiness.
If you wanted to universally charge for certain things (like carpet shampooing or whatever) on moveout, you were obliged to specifically claim these are non-refundable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">