• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Security Deposit Not Being Refunded

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thegreat91

Rhode Island

I signed a lease for an apartment with Ace Realty in June 2017. In August 2017, my apartment building was bought by another company called Prime Realty. Prime Realty never sent me a new lease agreement to be signed after change in ownership.

Now, I've left that apartment and Prime Realty is refusing to refund my Security Deposit saying that I did not give them a 30 day advance notice for termination (which i couldn't because of certain life events happening quickly).

Prime Realty has emailed me the lease agreement from Ace Realty verbally telling me that lease agreement carried over and that they won't refund me because i gave them a short notice.

My question is can Prime Realty do this without me ever signing a contract with them? Is the old agreement from Ace Realty enforceable even though building is now under Prime Realty ownership and i never signed a new agreement?

PayrollHRGuy

My question is can Prime Realty do this without me ever signing a contract with them? Is the old agreement from Ace Realty enforceable even though building is now under Prime Realty ownership and i never signed a new agreement?
Sure, when Prime bought the building from Ace they also bought the contract.

FarmerJ

Do you know if your states landlord laws say damage deposit funds can only be used for physical damages ? Many states allow landlords to deduct financial damages such as unpaid rent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">