• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Security Deposit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mpfups

What is the name of your state? Maryland

My question is how long is a landlord allowed to keep your security deposit for?

I moved out of the property on April 30th...I put a 1400 security deposit down on the rental townhome...To date, my landlord has not responded to any of my calls or emails regarding my refund..I havent received any list of deductions (There should be none house was in perfect condition) nor have I received a check or any correspoondence...How long should i continue waiting?

ENASNI

oh boy

fgarc... start your own thread... you are Ca and the original poster is way out East... hit start new post cut and paste this, erase this one then edit yours with a paragraph or two... We can help around here, but we don't like to jumble answers.

Some Random Guy

FGARC - don't hijack other people;s threads. Its rude.

MPFUPS - Google is a wonderful thing
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=maryland+tenant+law+deposit
http://www.oag.state.md.us/Consumer/landlords.htm#deposits

The landlord must return a tenant's security deposit plus interest, less any damages rightfully withheld, within 45 days after the tenancy ends. If the landlord fails to do this without a good reason, you may sue for up to three times the withheld amount, plus reasonable attorney's fees.

Make sure you get your 3% annual interest too.

ENASNI

okay Maryland now

mpfups said:
What is the name of your state? Maryland

My question is how long is a landlord allowed to keep your security deposit for?

I moved out of the property on April 30th...I put a 1400 security deposit down on the rental townhome...To date, my landlord has not responded to any of my calls or emails regarding my refund..I havent received any list of deductions (There should be none house was in perfect condition) nor have I received a check or any correspoondence...How long should i continue waiting?
http://www.peoples-law.org/housing/ltenant/legal info/md code-security deposits.htm

Return of deposit to tenant; interest

The landlord must, within 45 days after the end of tenancy, return to tenant the security deposit minus any amount which he may rightfully withhold. Simple interest of 4% per year must be paid on security deposits of $50 or more and must accrue at 6 month intervals from the day the security deposit was given. Interest is not compounded. If the landlord, without good reason, fails to return any part of the security deposit within 45 days after the end of the tenancy, he is liable to the tenant for up to three times the withheld amount of the security deposit plus reasonable attorney's fees.

Look in the link for what you must do if it goes over the 45 days... he has your written notice of departure with forwarding address.. yes?

Good luck...Just a little while longer unless they are on the ball, rich as midas or... I don't know as generous as my ex-mother in law at dinner time...Boy that woman would have made me fat if I stayed married... IT was always... Eat Eat... men don't like bones... come on I made it special for you... Phew... (sweet lady).

ENASNI

yo

Some Random Guy said:
FGARC - don't hijack other people;s threads. Its rude.

MPFUPS - Google is a wonderful thing
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=maryland+tenant+law+deposit
http://www.oag.state.md.us/Consumer/landlords.htm#deposits

The landlord must return a tenant's security deposit plus interest, less any damages rightfully withheld, within 45 days after the tenancy ends. If the landlord fails to do this without a good reason, you may sue for up to three times the withheld amount, plus reasonable attorney's fees.

Make sure you get your 3% annual interest too.
Some random... is it 4% or 3%? and the guys a newbie... he doesn't know how to do it yet... I do wish they would look around a forum before jumping in ...
because... Yes... HERE BE MONSTERS...

Some Random Guy

very odd... the Office of the Attorney General in Maryland says 3% annual interest, but the proples-law.org site says that the law was changed from 3% to 4% back in 1980, making the OAG web site 25 years out of date!

Reconciliation of these amounts is left as an exercise for the reader.

ENASNI

Oh well

Some Random Guy said:
very odd... the Office of the Attorney General in Maryland says 3% annual interest, but the proples-law.org site says that the law was changed from 3% to 4% back in 1980, making the OAG web site 25 years out of date!

Reconciliation of these amounts is left as an exercise for the reader.

At least we answered the question...
Tis 45 days... my young renter...

mpfups

Thanks

Thanks for all the help...One other thing...If they do deduct an amount do they have to provide me a written list of the expenses they supposedly used?

ENASNI

mpfups said:
Thanks for all the help...One other thing...If they do deduct an amount do they have to provide me a written list of the expenses they supposedly used?
Yes silly, we did not Google up those pages and post the link because we like to cut and paste... Kindergarten was not that much fun... Though I did like nap-time.

Read the links!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">