• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Security Deposit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cindy338

Good Morning,
We leased a house here in New Mexico for 13 months. We were paying $700.00 a month with a $500.00 deposit. The stove never worked properly but they would not pay to have it fixed. In June, the dishwasher messed up, causing water to run every where. The Propery Management Company sent out a carpet company to dry out the carpet and they also tore up alot of the padding. A couple of weeks later, they sent someone out to check out the dishwasher, but it was so old, he went ahead and took it out. After a month, I called the Management Company to find out about the replacement of the padding and dishwasher. I would call every month to check on this and was always given the run around. In November, I called and told them we would be moving out as soon as the lease was up because they never fixed anything. On the first of January, the lease was out, we moved out and took them the keys. We were assured that the deposit would be returned. After 3 weeks, we still haven't received the deposit. When I called to check on it, was told the woman was no longer with them and that we would not be getting the deposit back because we did not give them a 30 day notice of moving. Do you still need to give a 30 day notice even if you did not renew the lease? How can we get the deposit back?
Thanks,
Cindy

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">