• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Security deposit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Roses253

My state is Wyoming. I signed a month to month lease and a purchase agreement (to purchase the house within 2 years). Before I bought the place I had an electrical inspection done. The landlord fixed those things before the purchase took place. Our updated purchase agreement stated that he’d pay for any electrical repairs that were found during an inspection.

I purchased the house and he turned around and wrote a letter stating my security deposit will be forfeited because I caused extensive electrical damage (none that I caused and were safety issues such as copper wiring, fan blades drooping, stuff with gfic outlets, wiring that goes into garage, etc.).

Is this even legal and should I contact an attorney?

Security deposit is $1600

carolyn

Last edited:

quincy

My state is Wyoming. I signed a month to month lease and a purchase agreement (to purchase the house within 2 years). Before I bought the place I had an electrical inspection done. The landlord fixed those things before the purchase took place. Our updated purchase agreement stated that he’d pay for any electrical repairs that were found during an inspection.

I purchased the house and he turned around and wrote a letter stating my security deposit will be forfeited because I caused extensive electrical damage (none that I caused and were safety issues such as copper wiring, fan blades drooping, stuff with gfic outlets, wiring that goes into garage, etc.).

Is this even legal and should I contact an attorney?

carolyn
How much is the security deposit?

FarmerJ

You didnt tell us but this is important, DID the former landlord hold your deposit funds AFTER you had purchased this house ? I ask that because the day you closed and the home became yours this former LL lost all rights to claim the deposit funds since he no longer owned it.

Roses253

You didnt tell us but this is important, DID the former landlord hold your deposit funds AFTER you had purchased this house ? I ask that because the day you closed and the home became yours this former LL lost all rights to claim the deposit funds since he no longer owned it.
Yes, my former landlord held my deposit funds after I purchased this house and still has them to this day

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes, my former landlord held my deposit funds after I purchased this house and still has them to this day
Generally, when a buyer purchases a property with an existing tenant, the security deposit transfers to the buyer. In other words, the security deposit is part of the purchase. Check your closing statement to see if it was applied there. It should have been...

FarmerJ

If you cant find any mention of the deposit in the closing documents then I would suggest you consider using small claims court and sue for it Reason being former landlord had NO right hold it when they didnt own the property any more.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">