• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

self-employed: injury on job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



Tex. I am a self-employed artist who was injured at a client's residence. I was hired by a designer (for whom I frequently work). I filed a claim with my health insurance. However, because I was taken to the hospital by paramedics from the client's home, their report on how and where the injury occurred and their charges, along with the hospital and doctor charges, were submitted to my insurance company, which notified them that the injury did not happen at my residence and hence another party may be responsible. The benefits department in my husband's company (who carries my insurance) is now asking questions regarding the client's home owner's insurance policy, etc. since the accident didn't happen at my residence. I am not usually paid by the designer (since I am not his actual employee, even though he links me with the client), but by the client directly, so he doesn't carry workman's comp on me. (In this case, I have been paid by neither party for the work completed). I am also still injured and am continuing physical therapy (the injury was three months ago), and I have lost a considerable amount of work and wages. My questions is, if my insurance company refuses to pay my medical expenses since the accident occurred at another residence, who will they consider is the responsible party: the client or designer who hired me? (I would prefer that my own insurance pay the expenses, but I am not sure who is legally responsible for the charges if they do not pay.)

I answered a questionaire mailed to me by the benefits department of my husband's company (who carries the insurance policy). I stated that there was not any hazardous condition that contributed to the accident, but when the formed asked if it was a "slip or fall" I answered yes, since I was unaware of the legalese of this phrase. I meant that i "fell" off or stepped off a ladder and my foot went through an area of sheetrock between two beams. (This area actually was hazardous, since it was only partially floored. ) I don't want the homeowners to be responsible, since I was putting myself knowingly in a precarious situation, but I was actually put there by the designer who had hired me for the job. I'm just not sure how to handle this without it turning into a huge legal hassle...I would like to continue to work for the designer and would like to get paid for the work I had done on the job, but I also want to protect myself and have my medical expenses paid. I do not plan to try to collect on any jobs or wages I have lost since I have been out of work for three months (and will be for at least two more months), but I would like my medical expenses covered under SOMEONE'S insurance...any suggestions now to handle this? (The homeowner has not offered to file a claim with their homeowner's insurance company, or have either the homeowner or designer contacted me regarding the accident.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential