• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Selling rental prop, neighbor fence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? CA

I bought a home about 3 years ago. The fences on all sides were all standing, but were probably 10+ years old. My dogs did minor damage to the side fence between our back yard and the next-door neighbor, hereby referred to as Crazy Bat. My husband repaired the fence each time there was a problem, finally installing metal lathe screening on our side to prevent our dogs from pulling down fence boards. On more than one occasion, Crazy Bat has asked us to replace the entire fence, at our cost. Each time, we've told her that we will only pay for half the fence. She's never gotten any estimates or offered to pay half. She actually told me to file an insurance claim on the fence, and to say the wind blew it over. I told her I am an insurance agent and will not file any such claim. Besides the fact, the fence is standing straight and not missing any boards.

We moved out 8 months ago and Crazy Bat constantly harasses my tenants about the fence. They've given her my phone number and she has yet to call me. Again, the fence is standing straight and not missing any boards.

We put the house up for sale on 2/20/05. On 2/23/05, Crazy Bat called my realtor and stated that she will do everything she can to stop any sale and that she's taking me to court for the fence. She's claiming to have videotape of my dogs damaging the fence.

This is in addition to her constantly trespassing on the property and doing things like spraying Round Up on our lawn, pulling out the tenants bushes, and allowing her dogs to roam free to poop in everyone's yards. I'm sure this is irrelevant, but it's irritating just the same.

What do I do from here? Can she legally block the sale of the property? Can I make her stop calling my realtor?

S

seniorjudge

Q: What do I do from here?

A: Some states have common fence laws, regarding what to do in situations like this. I do NOT know if your state has those laws or not. Stand by for further info from folks in your state. You might want to just go ahead and build a new fence if it is not that expensive.

Q: Can she legally block the sale of the property?

A: No; her antics, however, may cause you to lose a sale if she's showing her *** one day when your real estate agent is showing your house.

Q: Can I make her stop calling my realtor?

A: Nothing legal comes to mind. A couple of illegal things, but nothing moral or legal.

Local PD

I'm thinking of contacting the local PD and telling them she's harassing my realtor and prospective buyers. They're well acquainted with her already because of her loose dogs and other issues. She's been known to grown marijuana in her back yard, for starters.

A new fence would solve the problem, but it won't be cheap. It's silly, but I hate the thought of footing the entire bill on a fence that I won't even own for much longer.

S

seniorjudge

Q: A new fence would solve the problem, but it won't be cheap. It's silly, but I hate the thought of footing the entire bill on a fence that I won't even own for much longer.

A: Add the cost of the fence into the sales price.

Getting estimates

I've made a few calls, hopefully I can get an estimate soon to see how much a new fence would cost. The local PD said that if she approaches the realtor or prospective buyers, my realtor can call them and they'll treat it as Disrupting the Peace. The woman is pretty crazy, a new fence might not even do the trick.

S

seniorjudge

testedmonkey said:
I've made a few calls, hopefully I can get an estimate soon to see how much a new fence would cost. The local PD said that if she approaches the realtor or prospective buyers, my realtor can call them and they'll treat it as Disrupting the Peace. The woman is pretty crazy, a new fence might not even do the trick.
And if you DO put up a new fence, she will gripe about that.

Old Bat and her ilk would bitch if you hung them with a new rope.

Good idea

There's an idea... There's not a neighbor on that block that wouldn't turn out and applaud if I strung her up from a city tree by her ankles. I'd say by her neck, but that would make me as crazy as her. And I'm not crazy... "I'm feeling MUCH better now." :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">