• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sending a stern letter... is that blackmail?!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Big Lebowski

What is the name of your state? NY

Hi all,

I have an interesting problem... I paid for a paint job on my car and it came out completely wrong and the workmanship was crap. I complained to them but they just brushed me off and decided that the way to proceed is to ignore my calls.

I've decided to contact a lawyer but before I do that, I'd like to learn more so I can prepare myself for any questions that might come up. Basically, my strategy is to send the shop a stern letter saying that I will sue them and ask for damages and that I plan on leading a very public trial. Hell, they've pissed me off I'm thinking about buying ads in my local newspaper with a picture of the car and naming them as people who did it. That's sure to drive their business down. Now, if I ask my lawyer to put this in a letter (when we ask for a settlement - i.e. my money back) would that be considered a blackmail? How exactly is blackmail different from just plain asking them for my money back?! WHat constitutes a blackmail?

Thanks!

Brian

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">