• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Separation of Church & State

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HawaiianBurger

Huh?

I understand what you want, I don't understand how you want it from this statement.
My response was abrupt and without tempo - my apologies.

For one, I found your statement of requiring some interaction of church and state in order to have "inalienable" rights to be false, if my interpretation is correct. Yes, I would say to some degree that rights given to us in scripture are fundamental, and I agree with them. I like to have these rights. To say their origin lies in solely in religion is ludicrous. To exclude religion, however, seems to exclude these rights (simple they are - I'll just say they make up morality) by your reasoning. Again, I may be wrong in my interpretation. Also ecmst12 discussed the definition of "creator" which you use and I have specified from general form here.

The last bit was just for example. Let's say we adopt the first commandment into law, punishing by death those who worship another god. Have we not effectively factored "freedom of religion" or "right to worship as you will" from the list of "inalienable" rights? Just a consequence of mixing a little church and state...

Last edited:

justalayman

and the Declaration of Independence still states unalienable, not inalienable.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on suc...
"Unalienable: incapable of being alienated, that is, sold and transferred." Black's Law Dictionary, Sixth Edition, page 1523:
Inalienable rights: Rights which are not capable of being surrendered or transferred without the consent of the one possessing such rights. Morrison v. State, Mo. App., 252 S.W.2d 97, 101.
You can surrender, sell or transfer inalienable rights if you consent either actually or constructively. Inalienable rights are not inherent in man and can be alienated by government. Persons have inalienable rights. Most state constitutions recognize only inalienable rights.

http://www.gemworld.com/USA-Unalienable.htm

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">