• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Served papers from ex

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aleayh01

Here is the GA Statute that provides that you may record a conversation you are a party to, or a conversation between 2 other parties, as long as 1 party to the conversation gives consent:

Ga. Code Ann. § 16-11-62: Secretly recording or overhearing a conversation held in a private place, whether carried out orally or by wire or electronic means, is criminally punishable as a felony under statutory provisions regarding invasions of privacy. However, the law expressly provides that it does not prohibit a person who is a party to a conversation from recording and does not prohibit recording if one party to the conversation has given prior consent. Ga. Code Ann. § 16-11-66.

So, yes you can record your conversations with your ex.

But, let me give you a piece of advice about that, from my own personal experience:

Judges are not stupid. They will see through any attempts you make to goad him into saying what you want him to say. Just be careful.

Thanks for the information and I will be very careful in my actions

kmb1179

I HATE this advice. Seriously.

I know that LEGALLY it's correct to say that GA is a one party state.

HOWEVER, that applies to LANDLINES only. And it applies to IN STATE CALLS only. And just because it's legal to record something does NOT mean that it will EVER be admissible in court.

Unless it serves a REAL and CONSTRUCTIVE purpose, I think it's ALWAYS a bad idea.

I wasn't advising her that she SHOULD record her convos with the ex, just that she CAN, if she feels she needs to. And that she needs to be careful doing so.

Sometimes taping can come in handy. Several months ago, my husband's ex-wife got pissed because he asked her to voluntarily pay more child support. She went the next day and filed for custody. (Yeah, right, like that was gonna happen.)

Several days later, he recorded their conversation, in which she told him that she doesn't want the kids, she just doesn't want to pay more money for them. She also told him that she knows that he and I (yes, she said me, too!) were better parents to their kids than she is, and that her life is not stable enough to have them, but that she would fight for custody instead of paying more CS.

My husband brought that tape to court, and the judge ripped her a new one right then and there.

So yes, sometimes recording things is a good idea.

kmb1179

I'm just going to respectfully disagree with you.
That's ok. We can agree to disagree. :)

How do you feel about emails? As far as saving them and bringing them to court as evidence?

My hubby saves all emails that his ex sends him, as do I. For some reason, she emails me about their issues, even though I've told her that that is between him and her.

aleayh01

That's ok. We can agree to disagree. :)

How do you feel about emails? As far as saving them and bringing them to court as evidence?

My hubby saves all emails that his ex sends him, as do I. For some reason, she emails me about their issues, even though I've told her that that is between him and her.
I've saved emails from my ex's wife irking me about how she feels justified in wanting to come inside my home. She stated that my son was a product of a fool in love (literally ) and I still want him and blah blah blah..... I will just continue to save them for future reference :D

kmb1179

I've saved emails from my ex's wife irking me about how she feels justified in wanting to come inside my home. She stated that my son was a product of a fool in love (literally ) and I still want him and blah blah blah..... I will just continue to save them for future reference :D
Aleayh, you have my condolences for having to deal with this girl.

It sounds like she is jealous of you, mistrusting of her husband, and insecure with herself.

As hard as it may be, don't give her the satisfaction of replying to those assinine emails. Save them, but just ignore them.

Or send them to me in a PM, and I'll laugh at her with you, to blow off some steam! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">