• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Served with Divorce Papers in NYC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwertyone

I was served divorce papers, I would like to request time to find a lawyer. How do I do this in NYC? I was married in Manhattan.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I was served divorce papers, I would like to request time to find a lawyer. How do I do this in NYC? I was married in Manhattan.
BTW, It does not matter where you married. Where the parties are currently residing is what matters.

Are you looking for time because you need to research the matter (< 30 days) or because you don't have the money for a retainer?

qwertyone

BTW, It does not matter where you married. Where the parties are currently residing is what matters.

Are you looking for time because you need to research the matter (< 30 days) or because you don't have the money for a retainer?
I want to consult with a lawyer before making any decisions.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I will assume, given your past history, that you are not in agreement with the proposed terms of the divorce and would therefore like to contest it. This would be called a "contested divorce".

You are given 20 days to respond. You need to get a Notice of Appearance to her lawyer and the court before then, so hop to it.

http://www.nycourts.gov/courthelp/Family/divorceResponse.shtml

And, given your previous missteps, she might not have a kid with you, but she does have VAWA on her side. Prepare to pay alimony. You can always just start out pro se, and then hire a lawyer later... And really, given your history, you should already have a lawyer in your contact list.

Just Blue

Urgh! He deleted the one where he couldn't be bother to go to court so he ended up with a RO.

Qwertyone...Do NOT delete threads or the volunteers won't help you. We don't bother assisting people who are just going to erase our efforts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">