• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Served with Divorce Papers in NYC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwertyone

Urgh! He deleted the one where he couldn't be bother to go to court so he ended up with a RO.

Qwertyone...Do NOT delete threads or the volunteers won't help you. We don't bother assisting people who are just going to erase our efforts.
I really hope I didnt delete that one.

qwertyone

Just Blue

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
It was an old post not related to this.
Actually, because your wife is an immigrant, and you have a legal history of domestic violence, it is very relevant.

In a contested divorce, as yours might be, that legal history can be used by your STBX wife.

Edit: Yes, your legal history prior to your wife is relevant. It shows a pattern, which affects your credibility.

qwertyone

I havent heard a response to my question
I was served divorce papers, I would like to request time to find a lawyer. How do I do this in NYC? I was married in Manhattan.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I was served divorce papers, I would like to request time to find a lawyer. How do I do this in NYC? I was married in Manhattan.
Start by trying to find an attorney - it really doesn't take very long.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
You don't.
You either retain a lawyer to write up your response, or you represent yourself (pro se) and file a response.
But you have to respond within 20 days of getting served, or you chance having a default divorce.

So, since there are no children, and you have no money to argue over, what are you contesting?

qwertyone

You don't.
You either retain a lawyer to write up your response, or you represent yourself (pro se) and file a response.
But you have to respond within 20 days of getting served, or you chance having a default divorce.

So, since there are no children, and you have no money to argue over, what are you contesting?
1) I have money. I can afford my own lawyer.
I want to find a lawyer for a consultation. I may not contest any of her requests but I want the advice of a lawyer.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
1) I have money. I can afford my own lawyer.
I want to find a lawyer for a consultation. I may not contest any of her requests but I want the advice of a lawyer.
Then why are you asking how to delay things to find a lawyer instead of finding a lawyer?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
You do realize that in the time that you have posted on here you could have contacted several lawyers asking about an initial consult?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">