• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Settle before court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? Tennessee

My 13 year old cousin recently broke out a neighbors car window. The neighbor has agreed to let his mother pay him without going to court. His mother is concerned about the payments being documented and was wanting to come up with an agreeable payment plan. Would she have to get a lawyer to type up a contract or is there any kind of service that the state government provides that will help her with this. She really can not afford a lawyer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.


Senior Member
Has there been a small claims Filed ?

All you have to do is write up a payment agreement plan and Both sign it. Have 2 copies signed by both parties,one to each Party. ( state what it is for IE: Yr.,make, model of car - broken windows). Have them show you 2 estimates first .

Make the payments in the form of a US Postal Money order, and write payment # 1 2 3 and so on , and what for (IE: as above..) on the money order so there is no dispute as to what the money order payment was for. On the Final Money Order write last payment. Keep the M?o receits.Make sure you note the same as on the M/Os on them.

stick to the Plan.

The only thing is , If the claim has been filed the Person that was damaged may not want to submit to the court the matter has been settled , because If you fail to pay it would be recorded as settled. Instead they should withdrawal the lawsuit. This would protect them in case you don't pay,and they could refile.
Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential