• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Severance pay status after acquisition and refusal to accept retention agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

m_as77

As a salaried employee in NY, I have a signed contract that offers severance pay - for four months - if my employer X terminates my employment without cause. Contract also include two months of notice if either party decided to terminate employment. My X employer has been acquired by employer Y that's based in CA and Y has offered me retention agreement - for nine months - that's not favorable - overall compensation is lower. Y informed I would remain X employee during retention. My preference is to move on; however, I would like to know my options.

Is my contract with X still legally binding and enforceable?
Could I refuse to accept Y's offer?
Do I still have to serve two months of notice?
Would this be ground for termination?
Would I get severance pay?

adjusterjack

No one here can answer any of those questions without reading the contract. If there is a lot of money involved it would be worth it to you to have an employee attorney review the contract and advise you about your options.

LdiJ

As a salaried employee in NY, I have a signed contract that offers severance pay - for four months - if my employer X terminates my employment without cause. Contract also include two months of notice if either party decided to terminate employment. My X employer has been acquired by employer Y that's based in CA and Y has offered me retention agreement - for nine months - that's not favorable - overall compensation is lower. Y informed I would remain X employee during retention. My preference is to move on; however, I would like to know my options.

I agree with AJ, you need a consult with an employment attorney who can review your original contract and what you are being offered now.

quincy

I can answer ONE of your questions without reading your contract.

Question: Could I refuse to accept Y’s offer?

Answer: Yes. You always have the right to refuse offers of any kind. But there probably are consequences for you if you do.

Like adjusterjack and LdiJ, I also recommend you have your contract with X and the retention agreement with Y personally reviewed by an employment law attorney in your area. We cannot analyze contracts on this forum.

Good luck with whatever decision you decide to make.

m_as77

Thank you everyone and as advised I would consult with employment law attorney to discuss available options.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">