• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sex offender obligations to landlords

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I just wanted to be certain if a registered sex offender on probation can be evicted if they don’t disclose their status before agreeing to a month-to-month lease.

Gail in Georgia

Did you fill out an application for the rental property? If so, were you truthful to all the questions included on the application?

Gail

FarmerJ

So are you in a month to month rental agreement ( either written or oral agreement ) ? If this is the case the month to month part of it is what is the most important part , with a month to month rental all it takes to change something is a proper notice that meets your states laws to do something like increase the rent, or change a policy about pets OR to tell a LL your going to move out as well as when a LL wants a tenant to move out. AND so you understand only a court has the authority to order up a eviction and landlords cannot self help evict with out a legal consequence. (unless you can find a state statute that says other wise ) A landlord can choose to terminate- end a rental agreement with a month to month renter with out having a just cause just by giving proper notice.

As of now, I haven’t even moved in. So should I try to arrange a written lease agreement of some kind for a period of time longer than a month?

FarmerJ

Your free to negotiate for a set number of months but that doesn't mean that the LL must engage in a negotiation with you, A month to month agreement I for many people is a great way to go but there is no promise of stability for either party to the agreement. A 6 month agreement may well work nicely and for some a year at a time or a lease that is written to keep a unit occupied during the heating season.

Ok, but can he legally evict me after signing such a lease when he does eventually find out I’m a sex offender on probation?

Just Blue

Ok, but can he legally evict me after signing such a lease when he does eventually find out I’m a sex offender on probation?
Who were your crime(s) against? Adults or children? Are there restrictions in your probation that would be violated by living in the home/apt?

FarmerJ

If the lease didn't ask you for basic criminal background information and is not written in such a way to allow for a early termination over information the LL never asked for then can a landlord fairly end a written lease ? No SO if you are able to find so called month to month oral agreement rentals or rentals where the LL didn't bother to have you fill out a application then with proper notice LL or tenant can end the arrangement.

Who were your crime(s) against? Adults or children? Are there restrictions in your probation that would be violated by living in the home/apt?
Yes, my crime was against children, but that was 10 years ago after some jail time. As far as I know, nobody living in the place I want to move to has children. My probation is from failure to register.

I’m trying to follow all the laws, and my concerns are that not saying I’m a sex offender on probation is grounds for eviction and that if I’m considered a danger to any children that go to that house (which I’m not, but I don’t think there will be any kids there anyway) is also grounds for eviction.

FarmerJ

If you have to fill out a application and it ask you if you have ever been convicted of a crime and you mark it NO and LL learns other wise it can give a landlord a reason to begin your states process to evict. If the LL jusr doesn't use a written application and normally does month to month rentals then at any time after moving in if the LL chooses to end the rental or change something all they must do is give proper notice of the change and that can include telling a tenant to move out no matter what the reason is in most places.

FarmerJ

I get it that its a giant mess when it comes to finding housing after having been classed as a sex offender,IF by chance you can manage to find a place to buy even if its on a contract for deed -land contract that would be one way to end this problem. IF your not able to find a regular rental then perhaps you may have to rent from a friend or relative until you can buy your own place.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">