• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sexual discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


S. Steinmetz

I'm married, a mother of 2, and teacher at a private Lutheran school. My school pays 100 percent of family coverage insurance premiums for the male teachers at our school. They deduct the difference in premiums between single and family coverage from my checks because (as they said) the male is the breadwinner in the house, so because I'm not the male, I don't get family coverage provided for me unless I pay the difference. Is this legal? And what can I do about it?



I am only licensed in California so you should consult with a labor lawyer near you. Please check this web site for a listing. However, generally speaking private religious employers are exempt from some laws but not others. In SD the denial of health care benefits based on sex may not be legal even for private religious employers. The Lutheran church employer may claim in self-defense that their denial to you is a form of church discipline since you are in violation of their teachings. Their teachings would be that the man should be the wage earner (head of household). That as an employee (and or a member of that church or denomination) you have submitted to their authority. So do immediately consult with a SD employement or labor lawyer. Hope this helps.

Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential