• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sharing the Dough!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? AL
I am selling my home and moving into my fathers (decease) home. I have siblings and would like to give them a share of the proceeds from the sale of the house. Will I be liable for all the taxes of the sale?


Senior Member
If you lived in and owned your house 2 out of the last 5 years, you can exclude up to $250,000 of gain on the house if you are single, $500,000 married.

If you give each sibling more than $11,000, you will need to file a gift return, but will not have to pay tax.


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential