• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shoe Company Committed Fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrshush

I'm a resident of New York and a few months ago I signed up for a customer savings card at Finish Line sneaker store. And that's ALL I signed up for. A $25 dollar charge shows up on my account a month later.

Turns out some employee at Finish Line forged my signature and charged my card so he/she would get commission. The forgery was awful. It was clearly not in my handwriting, and first and last name was miss spelled. I canceled the charge on my Visa card, but I'm appalled that a company would take it upon themselves to to forge my signature and use the info I provided, violating my privacy, and doing such a bad job at it at that. I think I'm owed money for this violation. Do you agree? If so how should I proceed and how much can I expect to receive?

Thank you

TinkerBelleLuvr

The 'company' didn't commit the fraud. A dishonest employee committed the fraud.

Did you bring your complaint to the supervisor? Did you present your evidence?

dcatz

You canceled the charge. You haven’t incurred monetary damages. You gave them your information. Where is the privacy violation?

An employee charged merchandise, kept that and did it for the commission on $25? File a police complaint if you can identify the employee and wish to. As suggested, file a complaint with the company and don’t do business with them anymore.

You sound more offended that it was done poorly than that it was done. I’d be ticked too, but I wouldn’t chase it far. There’s no pay-off.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If ALL you did was sign up for a customer savings card, how did they get your credit card info?

mrshush

I didn't give them my credit card info but I did pay for my shoes with the credit card that got charged. And I am really ticked off that some employee would sign me up and get my card charged without my consent at all. But if most of you are saying this is a non-case I guess I'll just bring my beef to the supervisor and at least see that this employee loses his/her job.

thanks

You Are Guilty

I didn't give them my credit card info but I did pay for my shoes with the credit card that got charged. And I am really ticked off that some employee would sign me up and get my card charged without my consent at all. But if most of you are saying this is a non-case I guess I'll just bring my beef to the supervisor and at least see that this employee loses his/her job.

thanks
While I'm not ready to agree the company bears no responsibility here (we don't know it's security practices, or even this particular employee's history - perhaps he's done this before), even if you were to sue and win, odds are pretty good you'd collect no more than $1. (You have a legal claim, but no damages).

That said, if the store supervisor doesn't give you "satisfaction", I'd strongly suggest you file a police report. If for no other reason than to protect future customers in that store.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">