• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shoplifting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

drseuss8675

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I am hoping that y'all can solve an argument that my husband and I are having. Our (adult) daughter has been doing some shoplifting and told us tonight. She lost her job and was not able to help a charity like she had been in the past so she had been stealing things to give to the charity.

My husband and I expressed our disappointment in her behavior. I clearly told her that she was wrong to do this and pointed out the consequences. She told me that she had never been caught and I told her to not be so sure. My husband then told her that if she wasn't caught "red-handed" then they wouldn't be able to prove it after the fact.

Presuming that she is being honest with us about never being called into the managers office or anything, what are the chances (if any) that she could be caught after the fact. She told us that sometimes she would buy one item and then steal something else. I know she has been using her charge card for most of her purchases. Could they have found out about the theft on video, realized she purchased something, got her name from her credit card, and then reported her to the police? Or have I seen too many movies?

waitinMd

Actually yes, she could have been video taped and caught at a later date. Many sheriff's departments web sites have video on their site asking the public to identify individuals in the video who have committed crimes.

It is always a possibility that her picture could match up in a theft and also as a paying customer at the register. If they match the time on the video with the time of the transaction, they could get a match.

Stealing is a crime.

cyjeff

Stealing so that she can give the loot to charity?

Really?

Her first name Robin?

This isn't a church charity, is it? Have you asked how they feel about being used as a fence?

Oh, and if your daughter is getting a receipt for these items for her taxes, that leads to a whole other set of crimes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">