• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should we accept their lousy offer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

airmon

Several months ago my Significant other was involved in a wreck that totaled her car ( value $1600), left her with a $2000 hospital bill and made her miss 4 days of work.
A dump truck made an illegal left turn in front of her from the oncoming lane and she slid into the rear tires . Had she hit 3 feet farther to the back of the truck she would have taken several steel beams at windshield level.
At the time of the accident, the trooper only cited my S. O. for the and planned no accident report. After I showed up, disputed the findings with the trooper and started taking pictures of the intersection, the vehicles and everyone involved, things started to change. The trooper did a report, and later cited the truck driver for an illegal left turn, making HIM the cause of the accident.
Both parties cited fought their tickets, with the trooper not showing for my girlfriend's trial date ( dismissed ) and the trooper showing up for the truck drivers'
s date. He was going to plead not guilty, but after his lawyer took a look at a copy of my photos, he decide to change his plea to guilty.
The insurance company for the roofing company that owns the truck and employs the driver claims that my girlfriend was really at fault and that they'll only pay 20% of the medical ( which they have paid ) and half of the damages ( $800). They claim this is all they have to pay by law.
Currently they've got her over a barrel since she can't register her new car until this thing is settled and she signs. ( some state thing)
I think that she needs legal help and should sue for more reasonable damages. The money we'd like isn't much, just the full damages, the medical and payment for the time lost from work (plus legal, if it comes to that). Shouldn't be more than $5K. This isn't much to an insurance company, but we're getting nowhere and running out of time.
Should we take the $800 or fight?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by airmon:
Several months ago my Significant other was involved in a wreck that totaled her car ( value $1600), left her with a $2000 hospital bill and made her miss 4 days of work.
A dump truck made an illegal left turn in front of her from the oncoming lane and she slid into the rear tires . Had she hit 3 feet farther to the back of the truck she would have taken several steel beams at windshield level.
At the time of the accident, the trooper only cited my S. O. for the and planned no accident report. After I showed up, disputed the findings with the trooper and started taking pictures of the intersection, the vehicles and everyone involved, things started to change. The trooper did a report, and later cited the truck driver for an illegal left turn, making HIM the cause of the accident.
Both parties cited fought their tickets, with the trooper not showing for my girlfriend's trial date ( dismissed ) and the trooper showing up for the truck drivers'
s date. He was going to plead not guilty, but after his lawyer took a look at a copy of my photos, he decide to change his plea to guilty.
The insurance company for the roofing company that owns the truck and employs the driver claims that my girlfriend was really at fault and that they'll only pay 20% of the medical ( which they have paid ) and half of the damages ( $800). They claim this is all they have to pay by law.
Currently they've got her over a barrel since she can't register her new car until this thing is settled and she signs. ( some state thing)
I think that she needs legal help and should sue for more reasonable damages. The money we'd like isn't much, just the full damages, the medical and payment for the time lost from work (plus legal, if it comes to that). Shouldn't be more than $5K. This isn't much to an insurance company, but we're getting nowhere and running out of time.
Should we take the $800 or fight?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Since you live in an "Insurance No-Fault" State (which is part of your current problem), you'd be better served by contacting a local attorney.

Next time "No-Fault" comes up on the Ballot, you'll know how to vote.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">