• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should we be worried that our neighbors want us evicted for "being too loud" tho we aren't?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gpetel

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

Our neighbors think we are too loud. We have never exceed the decibel levels required by law, and do not even come close to them. We respect quiet hours and don't make any noise between 10pm and 10am. We play music through our nice speakers. Our neighbors have acquired pictures of our "official" looking speakers, and a video of us playing a quiet acoustic+keyboard song. They're threatening to use these as the evidence that we are disturbing their peace, and they are pushing to get us evicted. We feel as though we have been respectful neighbors, always turning down the volume when they ask. And, we haven't actually done anything wrong! Help :)

eerelations

While ordinances do provide a framework for when too loud really is too loud, how loud is your music during the non-ordinance time? I'm just asking because I have a neighbor who plays Billy Joel and Bee Gees music at ear-splitting (nay - BRAIN-splitting!!!) levels every single effing day from 2.00 pm 'til 4.00 pm. While this doesn't violate local noise ordinances, it certainly violates my afternoon life. (I can't even watch TV during that time, the bloody noise from next door is so loud I can't hear anything on the TV.)

I haven't called the cops because I suspect ordinances aren't being violated. I did however call Mr. Billy Joel Bee Gee's landlord and she said that she will try to evict him.

So, as Zigner implies, it may be really up to your landlord.

Also, just curious, what do you mean by "nice speakers"?

Gail in Georgia

And what the heck is a "quiet acustic+keyboard"?

The fact that you've been asked by them to turn the volume down is a pretty good indication that there is a problem here...

Gail

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Sound travels in strange ways. What sounds like a nice quiet relaxing volume to you, may sound to them as if you're in the same room with them.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

Our neighbors think we are too loud. We have never exceed the decibel levels required by law, and do not even come close to them. We respect quiet hours and don't make any noise between 10pm and 10am. We play music through our nice speakers. Our neighbors have acquired pictures of our "official" looking speakers, and a video of us playing a quiet acoustic+keyboard song. They're threatening to use these as the evidence that we are disturbing their peace, and they are pushing to get us evicted. We feel as though we have been respectful neighbors, always turning down the volume when they ask. And, we haven't actually done anything wrong! Help
It's been my experience that when people talk about their "nice speakers" it's code for "we like to play music loud so we can really enjoy the sound."

That said -- you can either work with your neighbors to find a level that they can't hear OR you can be evicted. The choice is yours, however, an eviction on your record can make it harder to find another place to rent. Additionally, moving can be expensive. So the ball is in your court.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Then you ARE too loud. Turn it down. It won't kill you.
While this is not ALWAYS the case, I agree, especially given Shadowbunny's translation of the initial post.

There are cases where someone is overly sensitive. For example, I once had a housemate who objected "noisy" activities like wrapping a package or turning pages in a book in my bedroom with the door shut.

FarmerJ

The use of the word evicted has been used to freely, FIRST courts evict , LLs terminate leases or ask courts to evict in filings where LL claims tenant has violated a lease term and would be expected to prove it in a courtroom. NOW so you are clear some LLs have a tenant who has lived in one unit a while and got lucky that the neighboring tenant (s) were quieter OR the complaining tenant has bullied other tenants into giving them what they wanted even if it was a reasonable time of day. Do your best to keep it down but do know if the LL tells you to get out and you dig your heels in the LL will have to prove to a court you made too much noise OR will wait until its near the time to renew your lease and send you a letter / notice of non renewal. ( yes LLs can refuse to renew leases in most states with out having to have a reason) There are post here where tenants who only did reasonable things like ran vaccum cleaners in day time or early evenings, flushed toilets as needed, walked on floors that had no sound proofing between them and the units under them, and did a normal number of things that generated reasonable noises and had tenants who complained, And of course tenants who never had children living over them are often surprised at how much noise even with normal day to day play kids can create. as to your complaining neighbor you may have to tell them to grow up and call the police or live with it, as to your LL if the LL says anything then ask if they have police report file numbers so you can go read the reports your self . ( you didn't mention how old the building is but that's a huge thing too because its newer buildings that are likely to be sound proofed between units where as 40 to 50 year old and older buildings sound easily can transmit from one unit to another because codes didn't require sound proofing.

LdiJ

Check the bass. It could be that the bass is too loud and it is vibration rather than sound that is affecting your neighbors.
That is a MAJOR issue. Some people jack the bass way up and it is horrible for other people.

gpetel

I have SPL decibel meter. We're playing music around 65db SPL and the limit is 75db SPL. We don't have a subwoofer or jack the bass up. i'm not stupid, and we're turning down the music every time they ask. Most of the time i use headphones, but sometimes i have to use my speakers which are Yamaha HS8. They are the standard speakers and nothing special, we wrote "nice speakers" just because they claim they are professional, and that's their case for our eviction. I'm a mixing engineer, and can't use the studios all the time, so have to check few of my works on my speakers at home in moderate volume.

eerelations

I have SPL decibel meter. We're playing music around 65db SPL and the limit is 75db SPL. We don't have a subwoofer or jack the bass up. i'm not stupid, and we're turning down the music every time they ask. Most of the time i use headphones, but sometimes i have to use my speakers which are Yamaha HS8. They are the standard speakers and nothing special, we wrote "nice speakers" just because they claim they are professional, and that's their case for our eviction. I'm a mixing engineer, and can't use the studios all the time, so have to check few of my works on my speakers at home in moderate volume.
OK bottom line is this: even if you're not violating noise laws, if your neighbours can convince your LL to evict you, your LL can legally evict you. He/she may have to give you some notice, depending on your tenancy status (lease vs month-to-month etc.) but yes, you can be evicted over this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">