• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should you take the first settlement they throw at you ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Darth

What is the name of your state? I'am from NYC
The basic question is should you take the first settlement offer they give to you? In my case it has only been maybe 8 months from the ascident and they want to settle for some money,by doing this to me it shows they know they will have to pay out no matter what so lets just get it out of the way..
It just seems to soon to me , my lawyer says its up to me if i accept it, that is it the case is closed and done forever. Im in no rush for the money and im willing to wait longer if it is the better option.
Hope to get some feedback
Thank You Very Much

S

shell007

WAIT.....DON'T RUSH TO SETTLE! Don't wait too long either. Continue discussing with your attorney.

Any injury? Property damage?

abaga

Darth said:
What is the name of your state? I'am from NYC
The basic question is should you take the first settlement offer they give to you? In my case it has only been maybe 8 months from the ascident and they want to settle for some money,by doing this to me it shows they know they will have to pay out no matter what so lets just get it out of the way..
It just seems to soon to me , my lawyer says its up to me if i accept it, that is it the case is closed and done forever. Im in no rush for the money and im willing to wait longer if it is the better option.
Hope to get some feedback
Thank You Very Much
Personally, I would not take the first offer made...

Darth

My car was totaled whiped out from the rear,
i had neck, lower back, right shoulder injury and two disk bulges in the spine.
4 mris constant chiro,physical therapy, acu puncture, nerve tests.
I want to ask my lawyer ,but i have a feeling he will just say take it,
in the letter he wrote during negotations we came up with a firm amount.
And in my book firm usually means like brick wall.

abaga

Darth said:
My car was totaled whiped out from the rear,
i had neck, lower back, right shoulder injury and two disk bulges in the spine.
4 mris constant chiro,physical therapy, acu puncture, nerve tests.
I want to ask my lawyer ,but i have a feeling he will just say take it,
in the letter he wrote during negotations we came up with a firm amount.
And in my book firm usually means like brick wall.
Your attorney can negotiate with the ins. co. The ins. co. is going to come in with a low offer, but will leave room for negotiations....just as your attorney sets the dolllar amount high, so there is room to work.

Does that make sense?

Darth

Yes it does make sense its a tactic .
I also have no idea how they figure the numbers,
ive seen alot of posts about adding up yours bills and times them by 3
that is the number you should be looking for.
What about mental strain and stress and aggrivasion, not being able to work for over a year.
I was not working at the time but how could i beable to get a job after that right away ?

abaga

Darth said:
Yes it does make sense its a tactic .
I also have no idea how they figure the numbers,
ive seen alot of posts about adding up yours bills and times them by 3
that is the number you should be looking for.
What about mental strain and stress and aggrivasion, not being able to work for over a year.
I was not working at the time but how could i beable to get a job after that right away ?
I have been told settlements usually are 3-5 times your bills..that covers pain and suffering from what I understand...which includes the stress and strain mentally.

Since you weren't working at the time, I don't see how that would be figured in to your settlement as you didn't lose any wages. I don't think you can do on what ifs.

abaga

Darth said:
Well i had quit my job a month before because i started school .
But the accident didn't cause you to stop working.... you chose to do that before the accident.

abaga

Darth said:
If i was never in the ascident i wouldnt need to have legal advice ?
Sorry, but they didn't make you hire an atty either. You could handle it on your own.

They are not responsible for your legal fees.

Darth

Well i appreciate your feedback its so hard to get responses sometimes, i thank you for the time you took to answer my questions.

abaga

Darth said:
Well i appreciate your feedback its so hard to get responses sometimes, i thank you for the time you took to answer my questions.
YOu are very welcome.....

Stand by for other responses...I'm not an atty, but have done research**************

Best of luck to you!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">