• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Silent inspection

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Where does the $500 number come from? I couldn't find it in the statute
Read the statute that you posted.

Very well. I have reviewed the statute adjusterjack linked for me. In the treatment of security deposit section:

http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/statutes/14/title14sec6038.html
It says the landlord must deposit in an account that is beyond the claim of creditors etc. How can I request evidence of this? Is it as simple as asking the landlord for a copy of the bank statement my deposit is in? What kind of turnaround can I expect from such a request? I've reviewed the section it and can't seem to find those details.

Read the statute that you posted.
I understand that much, ours will be for actual damages since the deposit is higher than one month's rent. It sounded like the post was suggesting we could add another $500 on top of that. This is the piece that *I* didn't understand. If it's in the statute, I couldn't find it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">