• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sister is on Life Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ziphash

What is the name of your state? OH

My 35 year old sister went into respiratory distress and has been on life support since Saturday. She has been sick all her life, and has had one problem after another. She has a 12 year old daughter who she has custody of (my sister was never married).

Today, my other sister found my sick sister's Living Will and Will. These were drawn up over 10 years ago. She named our aunt (who she was very close with at the time but no longer is) as her MPOA and guardian of her daughter if anything happened. My aunt apparently doesn't know she's MPOA. Apparently, my sick sister wanted no life support or feeding tube. Of course, she's already got it so now we have a problem. According to the nurses, the only way they'll remove the life support & feeding tube now is if she is terminal or if the family wants to enforce the Lving Will.

My question is, since her Living Will and Will are so old and she is no longer close to our aunt, can the enforcement of the Living Will be forced by just our aunt? Do they have to be updated every so many years? We understand that my sister's wishes should be followed but know that over the past 10 years her wishes have changed. Don't ask me why she didn't take the time to make changes in the mean time because I just don't know.

Thanks for any advice.

BlondiePB

ziphash said:
What is the name of your state? OH

My 35 year old sister went into respiratory distress and has been on life support since Saturday. She has been sick all her life, and has had one problem after another. She has a 12 year old daughter who she has custody of (my sister was never married).

Today, my other sister found my sick sister's Living Will and Will. These were drawn up over 10 years ago. She named our aunt (who she was very close with at the time but no longer is) as her MPOA and guardian of her daughter if anything happened. My aunt apparently doesn't know she's MPOA. Apparently, my sick sister wanted no life support or feeding tube. Of course, she's already got it so now we have a problem. According to the nurses, the only way they'll remove the life support & feeding tube now is if she is terminal or if the family wants to enforce the Lving Will.

My question is, since her Living Will and Will are so old and she is no longer close to our aunt, can the enforcement of the Living Will be forced by just our aunt? Do they have to be updated every so many years? We understand that my sister's wishes should be followed but know that over the past 10 years her wishes have changed. Don't ask me why she didn't take the time to make changes in the mean time because I just don't know.

Thanks for any advice.
What does the MPOA say about life support & feeding tube?

What are your sister's wishes now?

ziphash

I don't know exactly what my sister's wishes are because she didn't tell us. I know, dumb on her part. All I know is that when she was released from the hospital last week for other problems, she told my other sister she was calling an attorney to make changes to her Living Will and Will.

I don't know if our aunt knows she's MPOA. She's been in to see my sister, but never said anything about it. My mom signed the form for the feeding tube the other day, and my aunt never said anything about it.

If I sound like I don't know what's going on, I'm sorry. We're just all a little stressed right now. :eek:

BlondiePB

ziphash said:
I don't know exactly what my sister's wishes are because she didn't tell us. I know, dumb on her part. All I know is that when she was released from the hospital last week for other problems, she told my other sister she was calling an attorney to make changes to her Living Will and Will.

I don't know if our aunt knows she's MPOA. She's been in to see my sister, but never said anything about it. My mom signed the form for the feeding tube the other day, and my aunt never said anything about it.

If I sound like I don't know what's going on, I'm sorry. We're just all a little stressed right now. :eek:
Yes, this stress is understandable. You forgot to tell me what your sister's Living Will states about life support and tube feeding.

Also, what do you and your mother want? Did the aunt say anything regarding your sister's condition, feeding tube, and life support? Is your sister terminal?

The answers are important to assist you.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">