• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sister taking advantage of senile mother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BlondiePB

janad98 said:
my father hasn't seen my mother since she went to the hospital last August 2004. Someone, likely my meth-amphetamine addicted brother, made a call to the hospital nursing station on the geriatric floor where my mother was. This person represented himself as my dad, and threatened her life. He did not speak to mom, her spoke with the nurse at the station. No charges were ever filed, and the call was never traced, no one ever pulled my dad's phone records to see if in fact dad was the caller (which I doubt). My dad had recently cut my brother from the will and told him as much, and got a restraining order against him, because he was coming onto the farm and stealing things to sell for drugs. So, Brother allied with Sister. Sister then hijacked mom from the hospital to the nursing home, telling the nurses at the hospital they were not to tell anyone where she went, because she was in danger. When she checked her into the nursing home, the same tale was told. Fortunately, we have a young relative who just started working there, and this is how I found out why they wouldn't let me talk to mom at the nursing station. My sister told them mom was not to make any calls out or receive any in, except from her. And thus, this is why my dad has not seen mom. My sister has them believing that he's hostile & a danger to her. He has neighbors & friends go over several times a week and report her condition to him, but he has not seen her in person or spoken to her. The last time I spoke to my mother was in Dec 2004, when she was in the hospital after she broke her hip. My sister hadn't had time to get to the hospital and decree that they block all communications to her.

From what I get from my relative that works there, they all seem to just do what sister demands, no questions. The facility is on the National Watch List for nursing homes "CITED FOR ACTUAL HARM / IMMEDIATE JEOPARDY" (www.memberofthefamily.net) and also these infractions are detailed on the Medicare.gov Nursing Home Compare site. Perhaps they need all the customers they can get. My relative is a new hire, and young, and afraid to speak up, for fear she'd be fired.

What a mess, hmm?
A huge mess, indeed. As recommended in the PM, also have a private investigator do a background check on brother and phone records of dad. Dispute the validity of the POA.

Do me a really big favor. The next time you see your brother and your sister, give them a huge bitchslap for me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">