• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

slumlord wont fix anything

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

micknmel

We moved into this duplex last July intending to buy.Well the lanlord backed out of 3 closings we had scheduled. Now we are renters and she will not fix anything. I have written her a letter of a list of repairs to be made and to no avail she only comes around when she wants money. Since she is not interested in selling the property doesnt she have to fix repairs...such as a leaking faucet that can't be used, sliding glass door in the masterbedroom is so dryrotted that in the summer we had swarms of bees in my bedroom. The bees were so bad that we could not enter the bedroom in the daytime. Now that it is winter it is so cold in this duplex because there in no insulation and the heating bill is outragous. There are no storm windows and the original windows are from 1979. Also, little things like the back door wont lock, the closet doors are missing, handles missing on the hall closets.....are these little things or do I have rights too? Also when we were friends she asked if she could leave a car in my drive way until she gets it towed, that was abandoned at one of her other propertys well this was last August and why should I have to pay for a garage when I can't even use it......Please give me some advise.Do I have to pay rent? I found out that the state we lived in sued her for 20,000.00 because she would not finish the garage she was adding on. She let it sit for 2 years and the neighbors complained about the structure not being fixed....Any advice would be appreciated.

D

djdj

UH DUH do i have to comment..give her a 30 day notice and be out by the end of next month...

dump the problem on the next tenant......

oh she will not give uyou back your deposit so you will have to sue her for it ...

and you should have sued her for all the money you lost on the 3 closings too...but you stayed DUH!

M

micknmel

You know it is not that easy picking up and leaving when you have children! We do plan on leaving,but cant we sue her for not fixing the repairs? Yeah we stayed, because we thought some lawyer could help us....but obviously not...I guess that the 900.00 we pay for rent on time every month is due even when nothing works in this house....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">