• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small business litigation Is it worth it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

smutlydog

Texas

I am a relatively new homebuilder. My stepson manages the construction. We are working on our 4th home. Three weeks ago we failed an AC inspection. Because the last house, we built also failed the initial AC inspection my stepson brought in a second opinion on the work currently being done. The repairman was shocked and basically said everything was wrong. After we confronted the contractor about a disagreement he said he would give us our money back and move on. We had given him half $4,200 down. Not only did he not give us our money back, on a Sunday he came back and enter the property without our permission and took the unit he installed. We decided to just move on ourselves.
Just yesterday we get a call from the owner of the last house we built. There was a water leak coming from the AC into the restroom. We called the contractor and he came out and fixed the leak but there is water damage in the restroom cabinets. The estimate to fix it is around $2,000. So now we are down $6,200. He refuses to pay for that. Is it worth it to file cases like this? My feeling is it is not worth it but my stepson thinks it is.

zddoodah

Is it worth it to file cases like this? My feeling is it is not worth it but my stepson thinks it is.
No one here can assess what is and isn't "worth it" to you. All I can say is that you're squarely in small claims territory, and small claims court is (or should be) a simple and inexpensive DIY process.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">