• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small Claims Court Questions -- Recover Damages from Rear End Collision

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

UPS has paid nothing. They maintain she was at fault for making an illegal U-Turn. The police report holds the UPS driver at fault.

She talked to an ambulance chaser (some lawyers are called this occasionally for those unfamiliar with the term) who wanted her to go to Physical Therapy. Why? "It will help you win your case." My granddaughter does not need physical therapy; the crook clinic was located too far from her work anyway to be of use, even if she wanted to participate in the sham, which she doesn't.

She has a $3K estimate for repairs; all she wants is for UPS to pay the bill. It appears her best avenue is Maryland small claims court, where the internet page advises one to name the President of UPS as defendant and serve the RA, a firm in Baltimore. The court issues a Writ of Summons, which along with the complaint and supporting documents must be verifiably delivered to the President in NYC. She is currently attempting to see if the police officer who responded would be willing to be a witness or supply an affidavit that no illegal U-Turn was a factor in this case.

Obviously, the point is to just be enough of a nuisance that they will settle. My question has to do with how Maryland Small Claims Court handles foreign Corporations. Any difference between those and Maryland corps?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
UPS has paid nothing. They maintain she was at fault for making an illegal U-Turn. The police report holds the UPS driver at fault...
You still haven't answered whether your daughter has collision coverage as far as I can see.

If she does then she should file a claim with her own insurance and they will be the ones to go after UPS.

You still haven't answered whether your daughter has collision coverage as far as I can see.

If she does then she should file a claim with her own insurance and they will be the ones to go after UPS.
I'll find out about collision. My assumption is she a) doesn't have it or b) she has it, but doesn't have the deductible. Anyway, I'll find out.

Just Blue

My granddaughter was rear ended by a UPS Truck. Damage to her car: $3K. Police responded, Police Report faults UPS Truck. Her insurance said UPS at fault, UPS pays and then her insurance basically abandoned her. UPS is ignoring her; recently claimed she was "making an illegal U-Turn." (No mention of this in police report).

I want her to pursue UPS through Small Claims Court. How does that work in MD if corporation is foreign? Will Maryland RA be served?
How old is your granddaughter?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">