• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

smoking ban a violation of civil rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

emilye

emilye said:
Are people really referring to the Bill of Rights combined with Constitution and ammendments? Sorry to sound ignorant, but apparently I am when it comes to this topic.
I guess you already said pretty much thats what they are. For something so important as the rights of America's citizens, its unreal that there isn't an actual list of these rights.

emilye

ahh

cbg said:
Although a lot of people evidently slept through Civics class in high school and think that "Civil rights" refers to a lot more than it really does, yes, we really are talking about the constitution and the Bill of Rights here.

There are also some laws, both state and Federal, that further define protected rights. Title VII would be an example. But with very few exceptions (which are state specific) smoking is not a protected right.
Thank you very much. :) And thank you to our forefathers for NOT including smoking lo those many years ago.

Indiana Filer

averad said:
No they have not all burst into flames and declared bankruptcy, but the local bars have roughly 75% less people in them. When the ban was implemented bars were completely empty.

What bars in Washington are doing to get around the ban is charge a member fee and become a private club. So you pay a monthly member fee of $3 or something and you can drink and smoke all you want indoors (any you usually get a stupid member card).

The college town near me (GO IU!) went smoke-free (including in bars) a couple years ago. The bars are still crowded, and I don't think any restaurants went out of business as a result of the ban. Personally, I love going out to eat in Bloomington now.

emilye

Indiana Filer said:
The college town near me (GO IU!) went smoke-free (including in bars) a couple years ago. The bars are still crowded, and I don't think any restaurants went out of business as a result of the ban. Personally, I love going out to eat in Bloomington now.
Thanks for your input. Since it is the entire state that will be under the ban, I hardly see how places will go out of business as a result. Its not like they can drive a few miles to another place that allows it (ok, except near the state lines).

Personally I am really looking forward to it, as are most of the people I know. The only ones unhappy with it of course are the smokers. Smokers keep saying, "Waah, waah, all of our rights are being taken away. Waah."

Smokers seemed to be fine from day one to take away everyone else's rights to breathe clean air. Non smokers have for decades, (centuries ?) been made to endure breathing filthy smoky air, where have nonsmokers rights been all these years?

And, again, no one is telling them they can't smoke... just where they are allowed to do it.

rmet4nzkx

emilye said:
Thank you very much. :) And thank you to our forefathers for NOT including smoking lo those many years ago.
1/2 the signers of the declaration of independence grew tobacco, lol and until mid 1900's smoking was promoted as being healthy! Native AM use tobacco in religious ceremonies.

Tell your smoking coworkers to take up a BIG collection and visit a Civil RIght's attorney, then the embers of their fire will fade.

CA's smoing ban hasn't hurt the food industry at all, in fact smokers are in and out more quickly so you can serve more:rolleyes:

emilye

rmet4nzkx said:
Tell your smoking coworkers to take up a BIG collection and visit a Civil RIght's attorney, then the embers of their fire will fade.
I only wish I could be there to point and laugh when the attorney asks them if they are on crack for thinking they have a case in the first place. And then gives them the bill.

clean air - counting down only 101 days to go...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">