• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Smoking on Work Place Grounds (outside)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmet4nzkx

annefan said:
I'm not arguing anything cbg. I stated that it's Disconcerting to see the company using RISING HEALTH CARE COSTS as a reason for the change. Nobody argued that the company is not within its rights to deny smoking on their grounds. You see the difference? It is fine for the insurance company to refuse to insure those who intentionally use substances that harm the body. They do it every day. No one is crossed about that. I've offered an opinion, not an argument. I will repeat, it is within the rights of the employee to find work elsewhere if he doesn't like the regulation. However, it is still dangerous territory when smoking protesters want to anhilate smokers. The other poster's reasoning is foolish and THAT I took issue with. If anyone thinks that reversing laws to prohibit smoking by anyone is going to be enacted, they are foolish thinkers. The consequences of such a change would alter freedom. And it will NOT make people quit. If smoking were made illegal, people would still find a way to do it. It's just not all this simple.
What have you been smoking? :eek:

The employer doesn't have to have ANY reason to set a non-smoking policy, that they may want to limit health care costs is a valid reason as you have pointed out, no doubt there are others.
I once knew a man who smoked at work, in Berkeley Ca, when they first instituted non-smoking policies, he didn't object, he and his friends spent a lot of time on the balconey smoking. Later his daughter began working at a store in another county, where the owner decided not to stock tobacco products, he though this was great. Several years later he died of lung cancer.

b love

smoking off grounds...

my employer just implemented a policy that restricts smoking to times when not clocked in, which is fine. but even when we are not clocked in, we not only must leave the property, but cannot even go to an adjoining property either. this doesnt seem legal to me. any ideas?

kathrynne

b love said:
my employer just implemented a policy that restricts smoking to times when not clocked in, which is fine. but even when we are not clocked in, we not only must leave the property, but cannot even go to an adjoining property either. this doesnt seem legal to me. any ideas?
Yes. Start your own thread instead of highjacking one that's nearly a year old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">