• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

...so I hacked our high school security...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lucid

Hello,
Well, nothing bad has happened to me, but I want to be knowledgable before I talk to school officials. Now the story...

Well, last year there was a head network guy who would pay if you informed him about problems with the school network security(sadly he left the school).

This year in my computer science class I bet my teacher I could hack the low quality(in my opinion) security software. After about 20 mins of messing around with VC++ I had sucessfully uninstalled the software.

So, myself and a friend, who gave me a tip about how to hack it, are expecting to get the same deal that was given out last year. It was about $50-100 per person(if we remember correctly).

Problem: The teacher knows that I had hacked the system, and states that if I do not hand over detailed documentation about how I hacked the system I might have to confront the principal and other administrators.

Question: What are my rights here? I did not abuse the system in any way(I did not damage anything) and I used only the things they gave me access to to beat it. The teacher knew what I was doing, and I do not feel that it is extortion to ask for compensation for telling them their weakness(I have made sure not to tell anyone else how to do this so as not to risk a hack). BTW, I live in Texas if that makes any difference...

HomeGuru

Would you risk getting expelled from school for a measly $50-100?
Have you posed the same question to your parents? I bet their answer would be the same as mine.

L

lucid

I do not have a CHANCE of being expelled...

If they threaten me and have a ligitmate case I will not fight them, I will turn over the information. But I am trying to make some money if possible.

As I said, the teacher KNEW what I was doing... it was under her approval, she is just now trying to be a bitch. She can't take back what she allowed me to do or otherwise she faces the same consequences....

L

lucid

the deal is she is now saying I made the promise of turning over this information... and thus that is why she allowed me to do this...

I NEVER MADE THAT PROMISE.

She made if for me AFTER I had finished hacking it.

So she is now lying... Reallly if the network guy is nice(like the old one), I feel that I will get the money and that will be the end of the story...

L

lucid

and WHY would I get expelled?...

I never wrote, deleted, or in anyway did anything other computers... I just got access to do so. Plus, I limited myself to the computer I was on... It'd take a minute for me to undo all that I did...

lord, I'm a programmer... not a hacker, thats why its obvious the security is so sad.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">