• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Social Security Deposit Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? Georgia

I'm trying to help my mother-in-law who is renting a room to her disabled son to pay the morgage. Her son is on social security disability for a minor disability. He is often not very responsible and spends his social security check before paying his rent. She then does not have enough money to pay the mortgage. He also is not responsible enough to have a checking account so checks come directly to him. This could result in lossing the house and all being out on the street.

Is there some way to get his check direct deposited into her account or at least a portion of it to pay his rent? Suggestions other than booting him out? We've thought of that but then she would not get anything.


Senior Member
She or another relative should call SSA office , or Your Local Adult Protective Office .

Explain that he is being charged rent , and has NOT been paying it , and Just Blows his checks . That he can not handle his financial Affairs .

She, or another relative , can request to be appointed his " PAYEE " , or to avoid the aggravation of that , ask that an agency be appointed payee . That can take up to 6 months though to get an agency to be appointed .

Another option is to get him out . He is living there free . She shouldn't allow it .

With all honesty , she shouldn't count on that money even though she needs it , if SSA won't appoint a Payee , maybe she should evict him and rent the room to someone responsible .
Last edited:


Junior Member
Saw a message in another forum about "garnishment" of SS income. Thats probably not the correct terminology. Basically someone was complaining about the bank taking money out of their check for debt payments due to a court order.

Is this something done by the bank due to a court order? Does check have to be direct deposited in the payee's account for this to occur? Guess it cannot be done directly from SSA like a credit union allotment. Why is it allotments to bank accounts can be done with federal employee salaries but not SSA payments?


Junior Member
Taking Your Federal Benefits
Under the Debt Collection Improvements Act, the government can take some federal benefit payments (including Social Security Retirement and Social Security Disability, but not Supplemental Security Income) to pay back certain federal debts, including student loans.
The amount that can be taken is limited. Only the first $9,000, or $750 per month, can be seized. And the total amount taken can never be more than 15% of your income. If your Social Security benefits or other qualifying federal benefits are $750 or less, the government cannot take any of your money.

Can your Social Security benefits be levied or garnished?
The Internal Revenue Service can levy your Social Security benefits if you have any unpaid Federal taxes. Your benefits can also be garnished in order to collect unpaid child support and or alimony. SSI payments cannot be levied or garnished.

I hope that helps u out. Your question was a bit confusing.


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential