• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Social Security

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



My fiancé is hearing impaired and qualified for SS benefits because of the loss of one of her parents. She lost her mother at the age of 17 to cancer and later she lost her father when she was 23. She received SS benefits for six months until she turned 18. These were survivor benefits payable to her because she was a minor of a legally disabled parent. Then three years later at the age of 21 she found out she was eligible for additional benefits because she was considered a disabled child of a disabled parent at the time of her mother's death. She also received some back payment for about a year, but the back payments did not go back to when she was 18 years old when her benefits stopped the first time. In December of 1993 she graduated from college and started teaching full time. She continued to receive benefits until February of 1997. She is still hearing impaired of course and received of a bill from the Social Security Administration asking that she pay $25,000 that they paid her while she was working. This has been listed as an unpaid government expense on her credit report as well. Can they do this? She is limited in her teaching career by her hearing loss and very limited if she wanted a part time job. How should we take care of this situation?



Your fiancee may be able to get that bill changed so that she no longer owes it. She should have sought the services of a Social Security Disability attorney near her to take steps so that her income from teaching would not be counted against her SS money. Please go to freeadvice.com/law/567us.htm for more information on this subject. To find an attorney near you go to attorneypages.

Mark B. Replogle

[This message has been edited by Attorney_Replogle (edited March 14, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Attorney_Replogle (edited March 14, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential