• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

social security #

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

styl4u64

What is the name of your state? NV Does anyone know if you have a child and are going thru the steps of custody and your case is not complete, if it is safe to give your child's soc. sec. # to non-custodial parent. An example is the non-custodial parent's fiance needs the child's # to provide health insurance. I am leary about giving the # and wanted to just see what everyone thinks. It's just that your social security # is your identity for life!~ If anyone out here has any input...... Many Thanks!

Well if you want insurance then I guess you're gonna have to provide it. What do you think they're going to do with the childs SS#?

CJane

I'm thinking that it's either give up the SSN, or go without the insurance. Why wouldn't it be 'safe'?

OT ~ How is the fiance providing insurance for a child that's not hers, or even legally part of her family yet?

abstract99

They only want the SSN for insurance. Stop being so sceptical. I am sure they are not asking for the SSN to destroy your childs credit. He'll get it anyway. It is on half of the court stuff that you file as well as your taxes which you will have to provide if CS comes into play.

styl4u64

Well the fiance added child to insurance in January and my ex and fiance refuse to provide me a card because it has personal info on ex's fiance. I don't know why I can't have a card like every other custodial parent has in the first place and 'they' have my child's primary doctors (by their choosing, w/no input from me) accross state lines in their state and child is ready for kindergarden and different laws pertain to immunizations etc, not to mention there are emergencies and sudden illness all the time involving children. What would you do?

casa

styl4u64 said:
What is the name of your state? NV Does anyone know if you have a child and are going thru the steps of custody and your case is not complete, if it is safe to give your child's soc. sec. # to non-custodial parent. An example is the non-custodial parent's fiance needs the child's # to provide health insurance. I am leary about giving the # and wanted to just see what everyone thinks. It's just that your social security # is your identity for life!~ If anyone out here has any input...... Many Thanks!
Both parents should have access to the child's ss#.

styl4u64

Thank You

It would be nice to have the card but I guess I'll have to try to get that with our upcoming mediation,,,,Thanks to all!

LdiJ

styl4u64 said:
It would be nice to have the card but I guess I'll have to try to get that with our upcoming mediation,,,,Thanks to all!
I am always skeptical when an ncp asks for the child's ss# during tax season. So at least wait another 10 days before giving it to him.

abstract99

LdiJ said:
I am always skeptical when an ncp asks for the child's ss# during tax season. So at least wait another 10 days before giving it to him.

great idea unless he files for an extensoin. Did you already claim the child on your taxes? If so then and he claims the child to it will not allow him. (father-in-law is a CPA) If he wants to provide insurance for the kid then he is welcome to do so. If there is no court order saying that he HAS TO do so then he does not need to submit these records to you. When my wife provided insurance for the children I would not give the info to my ex. I gave her the policy number and all info relating to the insurance but I saw no need to turn over info to her that had my wifes SSN on it. I'm not being sceptical, my ex has applied for credit cards in my name before.

styl4u64

Thanks again:)

I have always filed taxes claiming child, c/support was established recently,got cheated on
that (he works part-time) and is going to school so I will wait until next 3 yrs. for economics to raise it naturally, battles like that don't seem worth it! The custody is coming now, mediation first, I hope we can resolve peacefully but his new fiance (2nd one in 15 months :rolleyes: is very aggressive) and 'in control. With child support, health insurance was ordered paid by ex and his now fiance added child to her co. policy and I too, questioned how so w/out marriage and he said there is some commitment clause thru her company she would be able to add child. Newguy, or others, do you think I'm unreasonable to request the card? I don't see how because I need it for actual use. In various emails fiance has written that she provides,She chooses! I'm trying to keep costs minimal for attorney fees but i think I'll need to get this resolved! :(

CJane

styl4u64 said:
I have always filed taxes claiming child, c/support was established recently,got cheated on
that (he works part-time) and is going to school so I will wait until next 3 yrs. for economics to raise it naturally, battles like that don't seem worth it! The custody is coming now, mediation first, I hope we can resolve peacefully but his new fiance (2nd one in 15 months :rolleyes: is very aggressive) and 'in control. With child support, health insurance was ordered paid by ex and his now fiance added child to her co. policy and I too, questioned how so w/out marriage and he said there is some commitment clause thru her company she would be able to add child. Newguy, or others, do you think I'm unreasonable to request the card? I don't see how because I need it for actual use. In various emails fiance has written that she provides,She chooses! I'm trying to keep costs minimal for attorney fees but i think I'll need to get this resolved! :(

If you have joint legal custody, you should have a copy of the card. HOWEVER, it's possible that you'll be responsible for any costs above and beyond normal co-pays that are incurred by seeing a doctor outside the 'system'. That's the bad part about living far away from the ex.

She's probably covering the child based on a domestic partnership claim with your ex. I have a friend who did the same for her live-in boyfriend's daughter. HOWEVER, when the mother of the child took my friend's boyfriend to court for non-payment of child support, the judge basically said "It's very nice that your 'partner' is willing to cover your child on her insurance at her expense. However, the order is for YOU to provide insurance. Since you have chosen not to do so, I'm holding you in contempt."

Insist on the cards in mediation. The insurance is, for all intents and purposes, useless to you without it. If the ex is the one who moved, ask that he be responsible for all extraneous costs due to being outside the health system that the insurance covers. If you moved, expect to be held responsible for the additional costs.

nextwife

MY mom and her friends bought some bonds as "baby gifts" for my kiddo. They called as soon as she came home, asking for her SS# because they needed it to buy the bonds.

I also needed it to set up her 504 plan.

Last edited:

styl4u64

Hi Smarty Panties

Smarty Panties said:
There is a purpose behind my asking these questions.
I'm sorry, I'm reading between obligations, didn't mean to not reply. Yes, he is court ordered to provide health insurance. And the 'state line' is only 30 minutes, but again, the laws are different and I have another child that is by a prior marriage that I have the usual activities and family obligations and like most of us all, work full time. I'm self-employed so it seems there are even more things to juggle, like all of US:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">