• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sole proprietorship or llc?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dabrute

I'm looking to Trademark my logo and maybe at some point sell online items and of course once I register it, my name is public record and i'm not interested in that. My question is, is it better just to apply for a *DBA*sole proprietorship so i can come up with my company name and use that instead? I'm new to this so be easy on me. Thanks!

quincy

I'm looking to Trademark my logo and maybe at some point sell online items and of course once I register it, my name is public record and i'm not interested in that. My question is, is it better just to apply for a *DBA*sole proprietorship so i can come up with my company name and use that instead? I'm new to this so be easy on me. Thanks!
What is the name of your state?

Any name or logo you use to identify your business is your trademark. Federal trademark registration is not necessary for trademark rights and trademark protection (although there are some benefits in having a federally registered mark). You only really need to start using the name/logo in commerce as an identifier for your goods or services to gain rights in the name.

You WILL, however, need to register your business and its name with your state.

What business structure is best for you depends on factors best reviewed by professionals in your area. There are tax and liability concerns to address.

When choosing a name for your business, by the way, you will want to conduct a trademark search to ensure your name and logo do not infringe on the rights of any existing business and its products or services. Choose a name unique to you and your business.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Dabrute

it's not taken and i just don't want my gov name public when I trademark my logo, this is why I rather get a dba and use that when I trademark ny logo.

quincy

it's not taken and i just don't want my gov name public when I trademark my logo, this is why I rather get a dba and use that when I trademark ny logo.
You are going to have a very difficult time running a business anonymously. When you start a business, the business generates public records. Your real name will be associated with these public records. A DBA does nothing to disguise your identity.

I suggest you sit down with a business law professional in your area to discuss your wants and needs, so you can come to a better understanding of what is doable legally and what is not.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">