• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Solicitations and "agreements" over the phone.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

Erin Michelle

I have recently compiled all of my ,very many, magazine service "agreements" and found that I am paying an arm and a leg for magazines that I'm going to receive for probably 10 years. After contacting a few of them, they informed me that I can't cancel my "agreement" and that I am obligated to pay them monthly until the total is met. They state that they pre-pay the publishers on my behalf and that I am paying them back. That is why I can't cancel. I am curious to know if this is binding since it was done over the phone and nothing was signed. All I want is to stop further payment and receive what I have already paid for. I'm not asking for my money back. I just don't want to pay anymore and I don't understand why I can't change my mind. Do I have the right to change my mind or am I legally bound to pay thousands of dollars in magazines?

Thanks for your time,
Erin Michelle

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Erin Michelle said:
" . . . am I legally bound to pay thousands of dollars in magazines ?"
My response:

Yes.

What the heck did you do, purchase every magazine known to mankind ? At what point did you start to think it was getting to be a "bit much" ?

Hey, if you've got Popular Mechanics and Seventeen Magazine, I'll take those off your hands.

IAAL

HomeGuru

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
Erin Michelle said:
" . . . am I legally bound to pay thousands of dollars in magazines ?"
My response:

Yes.

What the heck did you do, purchase every magazine known to mankind ? At what point did you start to think it was getting to be a "bit much" ?

Hey, if you've got Popular Mechanics and Seventeen Magazine, I'll take those off your hands.

IAAL
HomeGuru response: I'll swap your Popular Mechanics for my Better Homes and your Seventeen for my Cosmopolitan.

E

Erin Michelle

Basically every magazine subcription company.

Unfortunately I never kept track of who called me and what I agreed to buy from them. I know that it is my fault. I have a problem with saying no and being mean to telemarketers. I don't know why. I also was probably distracted and was just anxious to get them off the phone that I just agreed to whatever they wanted to sell me. Sad but true. I just got sick of them calling all the time and bothering my family. Anyway, I just recently compiled all the information that I have about what magazine company is sending me, how much I am paying and how long I will receive them. It is WAY too much and absolutely ridiculous. I just want to stop everything where it is and just receive what I have paid for thus far. Is that asking too much? You seem to think that I am stuck with paying thousands of dollars for a mistake that I made in haste.
Without an opinion, I just want to know legally if I have a case or not. There has to be a loop hole somewhere!

Thanks, Erin Michelle

HomeGuru

You do not have a case unless due to false advertising or fraud. What you should do is send certified letters canceling the accounts.

R

redcat3

MAGAZINE READER

Every magazine subscription I have ever heard of has a stipulation that you can cancel any time and stop receiving the magazine.

I would call the company (or have a friend call), indicate that you are interested in subscribing to a magazine and want to know about their satisfaction guarantee. Be sure you specifically get the person to say that you can stop the subscription any time you choose (if that is their policy). If he/she confirms this satisfaction guarantee, tell him/her you have a friend that tried to stop her subscription but was not allowed to. See what kind of feedback you get. Get that person's name, mark the date and time.

If you've gotton the answer you wanted, call whomever you spoke to before and tell them about your conversation with the salesperson.

Don't forget, you can also call an attorney about this for free advice through this website. At least that's what is stated here.

I would be interested in hearing what the outcome of this is. If you feel like it, email me at [email protected].

REDCAT3

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">