• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Some help for my dad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

autumnsunburst

Not quite.

Go to the front desk at the police dept. and ask for directions on filing a report. They may do nothing with it, but it will be on file, and documents that you have raised this concern.

By the way, if your father does not have a will, he should consider getting one written. Worst comes to worse, your sister's portion can be reduced by the amount of the damages, since she's already taken her inheritance early.
Supposedly one of the things that were actually done after all this happened was they took her out of the will completely. Its definitely something I would like to be checked on and make sure it's all square though.

I'm trying to compile lists on Microsoft Excel now so we have them when we try to submit the police report again. I made a lists of lists and each list will have sub-lists, so far I'm sub-listing; stolen items, damages, each of those listed per room; money missing, bank accounts used, fraud accounts opened, credit cards used, vehicles used and damaged, guns missing, the abuse, and the people involved. Anything else I should have on here I'm forgetting? I think that's been part of the problem is this is such a HUGE mess. Just making the lists is a bit overwhelming but I think I'll feel better when I have it all wrote down where I can visually see it.

Just writing the initial thing I wrote on here helped to catorgize problems in my head.

quincy

Supposedly one of the things that were actually done after all this happened was they took her out of the will completely. Its definitely something I would like to be checked on and make sure it's all square though.

I'm trying to compile lists on Microsoft Excel now so we have them when we try to submit the police report again. I made a lists of lists and each list will have sub-lists, so far I'm sub-listing; stolen items, damages, each of those listed per room; money missing, bank accounts used, fraud accounts opened, credit cards used, vehicles used and damaged, guns missing, the abuse, and the people involved. Anything else I should have on here I'm forgetting? I think that's been part of the problem is this is such a HUGE mess. Just making the lists is a bit overwhelming but I think I'll feel better when I have it all wrote down where I can visually see it.

Just writing the initial thing I wrote on here helped to catorgize problems in my head.
It IS a huge job. I am not seeing offhand anything you are missing from your lists.

Your father is lucky to have you available to help him.

Again, though, keep trying to get an attorney in your area involved to assist your father.

autumnsunburst

The officer who came told me that they could not assume that the property in question was mine and that they couldn't help me.
Pretty much this exactly. It's such a shame, like are you supposed to tag everything you own with your name & address?

Damn because he actually used to do this and the toolboxes that he didn't try to take from the garage were his older ones that he actually carved his name, address, and old phone numbers into. :cry:

quincy

Pretty much this exactly. It's such a shame, like are you supposed to tag everything you own with your name & address?

Damn because he actually used to do this and the toolboxes that he didn't try to take from the garage were his older ones that he actually carved his name, address, and old phone numbers into. :cry:
The challenge (or one of the challenges) will be to prove your father's ownership of any items taken. This could be difficult without receipts ... but not impossible. For a civil action, it can come down to whose story is more believable. I think your father might have believability on his side.

autumnsunburst

He's owned the house for over 30 years, fully furnished, does that count for anything? Mostly he just wants his tools and toolbox back the toolbox we have a definet receipt for, but all the things in it? The dryer and microwave, can opener, all those things we've already had to replace.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
The challenge (or one of the challenges) will be to prove your father's ownership of any items taken. This could be difficult without receipts ... but not impossible. For a civil action, it can come down to whose story is more believable. I think your father might have believability on his side.
Am I the only one slightly freaked that some of the stolen items include guns?

autumnsunburst

Am I the only one slightly freaked that some of the stolen items include guns?
no and I left out the whole part where the boyfriend deals, we brought it up with law enforcement they were just like, "oh well, we don't have any proof" and now they're actually going to be living at my moms since she refuses to believe any of it and she even divorced her dude of 16 years to let her, "oh so perfect," daughter and her, "wonderful, loving," boyfriend live with her.

Her dude (exdude) we told all this too and he says he knows someone in Ohio (in law, cop or dea or something) and when they get settled in and start dealing out of her house he's going to be letting his friends know.

I was leaving that whole part out of the statement here because it just ends up being who said what, just rumors gossip, whatever. :censored:

I highly doubt this guy can even legally own any guns, he has some kind of record but I don't think he was ever really convicted. Once they got busted for possession in Indiana (that I know of minus anything I don't know about) and miraculously that went away and Indiana is a very strict no tolerance state. Though she was supposed to be working in a vet office and since she has that charge now they won't let her work in a place that dispenses medicine. (Or so I've been told)

Everyone we talked to say that if this had happened in Ohio then it wouldn't of been a problem because it would of been taken care of immeditely not forcing the family to try to figure out how to get compensated.

quincy

no and I left out the whole part where the boyfriend deals, we brought it up with law enforcement they were just like, "oh well, we don't have any proof" and now they're actually going to be living at my moms since she refuses to believe any of it and she even divorced her dude of 16 years to let her, "oh so perfect," daughter and her, "wonderful, loving," boyfriend live with her.

Her dude (exdude) we told all this too and he says he knows someone in Ohio (in law, cop or dea or something) and when they get settled in and start dealing out of her house he's going to be letting his friends know.

I was leaving that whole part out of the statement here because it just ends up being who said what, just rumors gossip, whatever. :censored:

I highly doubt this guy can even legally own any guns, he has some kind of record but I don't think he was ever really convicted. Once they got busted for possession in Indiana (that I know of minus anything I don't know about) and miracously that went away and Indiana is a very strict no tolerance state. Though she was supposed to be working in a vet office and since she has that charge now they won't let her work in a place that dispenses medicine. (Or so I've been told)
Sticking to provable facts can be important.

autumnsunburst

Sticking to provable facts can be important.
Yeah I figured as much. Since they are no longer living in my dads house dealing out of his basement that part is no longer really interest to us anyways, they can deal where ever else they want we just want to see about getting the tools back and maybe some financial compensation to deal with fixing the house back to where it's livable again.

So you can now guess why the other daughter would never leave this dude and would let him do whatever to her family and our family home.

autumnsunburst

Oh I just remembered an entire nother list of stuff outside, he took his antenna off the roof (HUGE like 20feetx10foot) and threw it out in the woods and put up some kind of thing nobody knows how to use, he still wants his other better antenna back up there but I'm not climbing on the roof. And they took his satellite dish down (a real dish not a DishTV kind of dish) and we don't even know where that ended up. Do people scrap those for money?

Plus he left tons of trash, garbage, scraps of metal, bongs, tires, oil and other things out in the yard. (We actually crushed up the bongs and buried them out in the woods because they were freaking me out having them on my dads property in this no tolerance state)

quincy

Yeah I figured as much. Since they are no longer living in my dads house dealing out of his basement that part is no longer really interest to us anyways, they can deal where ever else they want we just want to see about getting the tools back and maybe some financial compensation to deal with fixing the house back to where it's livable again.

So you can now guess why the other daughter would never leave this dude and would let him do whatever to her family and our family home.
Once you get all of the missing and damaged items listed with values (or estimated values) and proofs of ownership where possible (and I would start any list with the stolen gun), get the police report filed. Get an insurance claim filed. Get a lawsuit filed. And get bank account and credit account numbers changed and fraud alerts placed with the credit reporting agencies and the bank.

I would do all of this SOON. If you miss listing some items, these can be added later.

autumnsunburst

So I'm reading the insurance company on how to file a homeowners claim, so should I just take him and this list I'm comprising to their office? (which is thankfully local to me)

autumnsunburst

Once you get all of the missing and damaged items listed with values (or estimated values) and proofs of ownership where possible (and I would start any list with the stolen gun), get the police report filed. Get an insurance claim filed. Get a lawsuit filed. And get bank account and credit account numbers changed and fraud alerts placed with the credit reporting agencies and the bank.

I would do all of this SOON. If you miss listing some items, these can be added later.
thank you thank you
i'm writing down this list now as well <3

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">