• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

someone used my name to redeem my father's insurance policy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

starceph

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
My father passed away. He had just told me he had a life insurance policy for me, one for my cousin and a burial policy (three policies). He also told me he had a savings bond each month set aside that would go to me.
The woman, and her husband that my dad was living with at the time of his death, told me that there was no life isurance policy for me. They refused to let me have his clothes and things, but insisted that I submit a letter to the funeral home allowing the woman to make his funeral arrangements. Now I hear the woman has come into money, has a new car, has cashed those savings bonds and "lost an insurance policy". She would not even give me the name of the insurance company of the policy that my dad said he had for me. Do I just consider this a lost cause or what? The policy for me was for $25,000 and the bonds were around $19,000 in value.

justalayman

can you prove there was any of the items you believed were yours?

Why would you allow somebody else to make your fathers funeral arrangements? Why did you not take some action to obtain your father's possession?

If you have any idea what insurance wrote the policy, you can contact them and speak with a rep and explain the situation. They can investigate his policies to see if any were listed as you as beneficiary and if they had been cashed out.

I would suspect the policy was written by the same company as your cousins and the one intended for the burial.

as to the bonds: again, any proof? Were these government savings bonds?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">