• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Someone wrote my dad a check and then canceled it

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HelpinMN

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN

So I am posting this to try and get my dad some info on what he can do. He is a loan officer for a small broker in MN and he had a woman who was most of the way through buying a house and then something happened and she backed out. She had already written him a check for the appraisal (which he usually collects in case they back out or something happens so he doesn't get stuck paying for it) but she then canceled the check and wont return his calls. He asked me what his options were and I figured I would ask you guys. He would like to get the money but would be just happy with dinging her credit so at least he can send her the message that what she did was wrong. Can he send her to collections? or what are his options?

HelpinMN

re

That was my first response to him but he said the appraisal was only like $350 and by the time he files the paperwork and spends half a day in court its not worth his time, and that is IF she ever actually pays the judgement. He was hoping there is somewhere he can just send the check and pay a few bucks to get them to collect on it.

CraigFL

The real question is did your father suffer damages from this? In other words, was the appraisal done and paid for by your father for the unfinished transaction?

HelpinMN

re

Yes my father did pay the appraiser, so his damages would be the $350 that he paid and was never reimbursed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">