• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Son returns home with knife

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

Here's what's happening, and I realize both questions do not belong under this thread. I am custodial parent of a 13 year old boy. He came home from dad's with a knife in his pocket. It is a knife that folds into itself, and the blade measures 4 inches.

According to what I read, anything over 3 inches can be considered felonious. I of course took the knife. Dad wants it back, which I won't give it back for fear of it getting into the wrong hands again.

Two questions. Is there anything that I should be considering in terms of dad's parenting and the law as a result of this? Meaning, would I be negligent for not reporting this to someone. Also, how does anyone suggest I get rid of this knife? Via the garbage where it'd wind up in a dump site seems risky, for fear it'd wind up in the wrong hands. Ideas?

sometwo

My husband's 12 yr old son has many knives. They are kept put up but they are his. He learns about them in Boy Scouts. He is also at the age he is allowed to carry a knife to Boy Scout camp .

I don't see what the big deal is ?

Also our 10 yr old daughter has her own knife. When we go hiking and camping they both carry a knife.

We get new knives all the time to add to our collections.

If dad wants it back give it to him. Its not a big deal.

LdiJ

My husband's 12 yr old son has many knives. They are kept put up but they are his. He learns about them in Boy Scouts. He is also at the age he is allowed to carry a knife to Boy Scout camp .

I don't see what the big deal is ?

Also our 10 yr old daughter has her own knife. When we go hiking and camping they both carry a knife.

We get new knives all the time to add to our collections.

If dad wants it back give it to him. Its not a big deal.
Did you not catch the part where apparently the knife is longer than legally allowed?

LdiJ

Here's what's happening, and I realize both questions do not belong under this thread. I am custodial parent of a 13 year old boy. He came home from dad's with a knife in his pocket. It is a knife that folds into itself, and the blade measures 4 inches.

According to what I read, anything over 3 inches can be considered felonious. I of course took the knife. Dad wants it back, which I won't give it back for fear of it getting into the wrong hands again.

Two questions. Is there anything that I should be considering in terms of dad's parenting and the law as a result of this? Meaning, would I be negligent for not reporting this to someone. Also, how does anyone suggest I get rid of this knife? Via the garbage where it'd wind up in a dump site seems risky, for fear it'd wind up in the wrong hands. Ideas?
You can always turn it into the police.

If I go to the police station, they won't look at me as suspect for walking in with something like that?

I know you don't have a crystal ball. I am just so concerned with all the what-ifs.

proud_parent

According to what I read, anything over 3 inches can be considered felonious. I of course took the knife.
It is not a felony to own or to carry such a knife. Under MCL 750.226, it is a felony to go armed with such a knife "with intent to use the same unlawfully against the person of another".

What did Son say about how he came to have the knife and what he intended to do with it?

Dad wants it back, which I won't give it back for fear of it getting into the wrong hands again.
Many items can be dangerous in the wrong hands.

Two questions. Is there anything that I should be considering in terms of dad's parenting and the law as a result of this? Meaning, would I be negligent for not reporting this to someone.
You do mean in terms of co-parenting with Dad, right?
What does Dad say about Son having the knife?

Also, how does anyone suggest I get rid of this knife? Via the garbage where it'd wind up in a dump site seems risky, for fear it'd wind up in the wrong hands. Ideas?
Return the property to its rightful owner.

sometwo

]Michigan -750.226... Carrying with unlawful intent
Any person who, with intent to use the same unlawfully
against the person of another,
goes armed with a pistol
or other firearm or dagger, dirk, razor, stiletto, or
knife having a blade over 3 inches in length, or any
other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument, shall
be guilty of a felony, punishable by imprisonment in
the state prison for not more than 5 years or by a fine
of not more than 2,500 dollars.

- 750.226a. Pocket knife opened by mechanical device...
Any person who shall sell or offer to sell, or
any person who shall have in his possession any knife
having the appearance of a pocket knife, the blade or
blades of which can be opened by a flick of a button,
pressure on a handle or other mechanical contrivance shall
be guilty of a misdemeanor... [Also, concealed carry may
be charged as a felony under 750.227.] The provisions of
this section [750.226a] shall not apply to any one-armed
person carrying a knife on his person in connection with
his living requirements.

Sounds to me only with unlawful intent

That is why I said it could be considered felonious...not that it was.

What I do know is that 13 year olds do not have the brain development/impulse control yet to not get into some kind of trouble while having a knife in his pocket. Given that recipe, he could mouth off to the wrong person at the wrong time with the knife in his pocket, and find himself in trouble.

I'm first and foremost trying to protect my child.

He said he was whittling wood at dad's and forgot it was in his pocket.

And no, I did not mean in terms of co-parenting with dad on this one. Dad is not concerned so I am asking if I as the concerned parent should be doing anything or just chalk it up to different parenting styles. I'd hate for trouble to come and one day be asked why I did nothing if knew about the potential for trouble.

And for the record, my son has been in some trouble before.

sometwo

What I do know is that 13 year olds do not have the brain development/impulse control yet to not get into some kind of trouble while having a knife in his pocket. Given that recipe, he could mouth off to the wrong person at the wrong time with the knife in his pocket, and find himself in trouble.

I'm first and foremost trying to protect my child.

He said he was whittling wood at dad's and forgot it was in his pocket.

And no, I did not mean in terms of co-parenting with dad on this one. Dad is not concerned so I am asking if I as the concerned parent should be doing anything or just chalk it up to different parenting styles. I'd hate for trouble to come and one day be asked why I did nothing if knew about the potential for trouble.

And for the record, my son has been in some trouble before.
So why not educate your child??????

I don't mean he needs to carry it around or anything, but that its no big deal that he has a knife. Give the thing back to dad. You don't have to keep it at your house. However at some point your child will probably come in contact with a knife, a gun, or who knows . Its best to educate children about this things. Not run scared over it.

It is not solely about education. It is more about physical development.

In John Parks Le Tellier's book "Quantum Learning and Instructional Leadership in Practice" he clearly states:

It may be helpful for us to focus briefly on the adolescent brain. The frontal cortex is the last part of the brain to mature and, as already noted, it may not be fully mature until about age 23. Consequently, the frontal lobes capacity to control emotion is not fully operational during a person's adolescence. This fact is rather inconvenient during the teenage years because the prefrontal cortex is where judgement, rational thinking and the consideration of consequences for behavior occur. It is also the part of the brain used to control or inhibit our behavior and emotional responses (Sousa, 2006).

Antigone*

So why not educate your child??????

I don't mean he needs to carry it around or anything, but that its no big deal that he has a knife. Give the thing back to dad. You don't have to keep it at your house. However at some point your child will probably come in contact with a knife, a gun, or who knows . Its best to educate children about this things. Not run scared over it.
sometwo, Mom wants to use this incident against dad ~ which is truly sad for the child. If mom were really concerned about the child, she'd educate him just as you suggest.

See Dad was not concerned because he felt confident enough in his child's handling of the knife. Son forgot it in his pocket and Dad probably should have asked son, "Did you put the knife back?" because mom sees things differently. There are obvious differences between mom and dad here it seems that she is just looking for a reason to stick it to dad (pun completely intended:cool:).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">