• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding ticket on busy freeway, 3 lanes away from where officer was sitting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isn't the spread of the Radar spectrum like 4 Degrees (Discussed in Cosign error)? Depending on the distance of the radar if it is indeed radar and not Lidar the officer can mistakenly hit a car next to you that is behind you and then hit the front of your car with the second reading and it will emulate that the car moved a few feet faster then it did instantly. Like for Lidar if the officer hits your windshield but then moves the angle of the gun down and then the laser hits the front of the bumper of the car for a moment it will think the object has traveled even though it has not?
I'm not saying you'll be able to convince the Judge of this unless you have a video of a car driving really close next to you, if not the cop will deny that the case and the judge will take his word for it but such errors do exist but in all practice probably pretty rare.

What a good question would be is if the officer applied additional MPH taking into account the Cosign error. Im not certain if the Lidar guns the CHP use can take this into account at all unless they can somehow get the angle of the object that is traveling from the Lidar beam which I don't know if that's physically possible. If the officer is on the side of the Freeway would it be normal practice that he tacks on a few MPH to provide for such an error depending on the angle he is at??

https://copradar.com/chapts/chapt2/ch2d1.html

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What a good question would be is if the officer applied additional MPH taking into account the Cosign error. Im not certain if the Lidar guns the CHP use can take this into account ...[/URL]
Does the CHP have Jurisdiction in IL?

Just context of a standard peace officer division that used Lidar/Radar technology to measure vehicle speed. I assume the technology is standardized to the extent that would cover this OP topic/question. The OP didn't list the subdivision that the officer was apart of so I was just using them as an example.
Yes, you raise a valid point if the Highway-Patrol in Cali uses a drastically different tech then yes disregard the CHP comment and as Quincy pointed out well have to determine if it was indeed radar.

In both cases do peace officer's normally have a standard practice for dealing with Cosign error for both Lidar and Radar like adding a MPH buffer to balance out the loss? Do they generate this number purely from Training and Experience or do they use a tangible physical instrument to determine the Cosign effect?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Is that question required to be answered to determine the practical use of Lidar and Radar in IL?
Yes. Yes it is. Because you previously posted:
What a good question would be is if the officer applied additional MPH taking into account the Cosign error. Im not certain if the Lidar guns the CHP use can take this into account at all unless they can somehow get the angle of the object that is traveling from the Lidar beam which I don't know if that's physically possible. If the officer is on the side of the Freeway would it be normal practice that he tacks on a few MPH to provide for such an error depending on the angle he is at??
OP was ticketed in Chicago, on Lake Shore Drive.

Lake Shore Drive is not a freeway, it has bot been established how speed was determined.

What we do know is that OP was ticketed for going 25+ mph over the speed limit, which is a class B misdemeanor and can result in up to 6 months in prison and a $1500 fine.

Following your meanderings rather than just hiring a lawyer would be a bad idea.

Yes. Yes it is. Because you previously posted:
No, No its not, not even close.. Don't ignore the context of a conversation just to try to tie two points together like why CHP needs to have Jursitation in IL, That's ridiculous.

OP was ticketed in Chicago, on Lake Shore Drive.

Lake Shore Drive is not a freeway, it has bot been established how speed was determined.

What we do know is that OP was ticketed for going 25+ mph over the speed limit, which is a class B misdemeanor and can result in up to 6 months in prison and a $1500 fine.

Following your meanderings rather than just hiring a lawyer would be a bad idea.
I didn't provide for any action for the OP to take, What meanderings are you talking about?

I didn't say it wasn't real. It being real or not is not the issue that the OP needs to address at the moment.
I agree with you! Look at it this way, The OP is a random person inquiring about if he has a valid defense given the scenario he laid out. A lot of us know that it won't work due to our previous experiences we've all had, That's very helpful to people who need free advice.
On reflex anyone saying, "This is over your head get an Attorney!" Is not an incorrect response at all, especially if it's valid, However, look at it from the OP's side of things.. They are getting advice from Random's on the internet, in hope that hopefully one is an experienced attorney or worked in law enforcement for years so they get pointed in the right direction. When they come here with the mindset that they have a chance in court (Without an attorney) to defend this case, these OP's really don't know how deep the pool is until they get into a convo with someone like us (I don't think anyone argues this point). It's just part of human nature/Dunning Kruger effect. I'll give you a clear example, Zigner is one of the most active people I see in the traffic forum and I see the responses he adds to people post and he's normally spot on with his reply but on top of that I would think at least 10 times a day that he would say either to himself or the OP, "That's retarded, don't do that unless you want to get convicted!", and he right. But here's the thing, The OP DOES NOT KNOW THE EXTENT of what that means until we actually dive into the convo. People come here all the time thinking "Well if I just ask the cop if his gun was calibrated, he will say "No" and the case is dropped", I've heard many people say something along the lines of this and in our minds were like, "yeah good luck with that in principle your right but it ain't happening". So then the OP goes "Well why not" which they all do to clarify and to get a sense of what their position looks like to us and there are two things we can do... We can say once again, "Get an Attorney and if you don't your screwed and if you don't wanna kick rocks and not discuss it any further" or in alternative open a forum discussion, I would have hoped it would of at least educated the OP to let him know "Hey if you take this to trial.. the pool is at least 50ft deep and its not as shallow as it looks from afar", I feel the OP would actually be able to get an idea what they are getting themselves into and actually be convinced to get a lawyer. I would never try to advise against that idea of obtaining a lawyer, I was merely entertaining the idea the OP was asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">