• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? NJ I got a ticket two weeks ago to go to court today. The state trooper did not tell me today is veterans day and I went in and they were closed. So he gave me a court date on vet day. I took off work to go there. What should I do? Should I still go tommorrow or there should be some compensation or case dismissed. Let me know.

Thanks

Hey There

Information is just a click away.

11-12-07
romieroach,

According to Speeding Ticket FAQ website putting the wrong date on a traffic ticket is considered a material defect . The information posted on this website was taken from the Michigan Judicial Institute.
For a complete explanation of what constitues a material defect on a
traffic ticket, go to Google, click on Speeding Ticket FAQ and scroll down to Will errors on the ticket result in the charges being dropped?

A friend of mine went to court with a friend whose court date was on a Legal Holiday. Predictably the court was closed. The friend who was cited for the traffic violation returned to court alone the folllowing day and the case was dismissed.

Here you have taken off work to appear in court which is no small inconvenience especially if you have to appear in court to take care of this matter. So in Michigan and the state I live in the case would likely be dismissed. Hopefully the court in N.J. will do the same.

Do post on the forum how this issue turned out for you. It would prove helpful for the next person who gets scheduled for a court date on a Legal Holiday.

Best Regards,
Hey There

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
11-12-07
romieroach,

According to Speeding Ticket FAQ website putting the wrong date on a traffic ticket is considered a material defect .
A "material defect" would have to affect the actual offense. Yes, the wrong date (of an offense) on a ticket could cause it to be dismissed. It is far less likely that the wrong court date will do the same.
When our OP realized his court date was on a holiday, he should have called to find out what his correct court date is.

saxman93

PA Speeding Ticket

I am going to court tomorrow to plead Not Guilty to a speeding ticket and just noticed the office put the wrong time on the ticket. I was pulled over at 10:40 AM, but the officer wrote 11:40 AM. I have phone records and receipts top show I was elsewhere at 11:40 and that I was in the area where I was pulled over at 10:40. Is this considered a minor error or is it enough of a glitch to get me off?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am going to court tomorrow to plead Not Guilty to a speeding ticket and just noticed the office put the wrong time on the ticket. I was pulled over at 10:40 AM, but the officer wrote 11:40 AM. I have phone records and receipts top show I was elsewhere at 11:40 and that I was in the area where I was pulled over at 10:40. Is this considered a minor error or is it enough of a glitch to get me off?
Probably not -

Please start your own thread

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">