• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

splitting a mortgage between 2 lenders

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

denlocke

What is the name of your state? WA

We are trying to buy a home from a family member who is willing to privately finance a portion of the home for a yet-to-be-determined low interest rate. The price of the home is 185,000 and he is willling to finance 100,000 privately. But he needs the 85,000 so we need to find a lender to finance that portion. Would a lender be willing to split a mortgage like this? How would we go about doing it?

HomeGuru

denlocke said:
What is the name of your state? WA

We are trying to buy a home from a family member who is willing to privately finance a portion of the home for a yet-to-be-determined low interest rate. The price of the home is 185,000 and he is willling to finance 100,000 privately. But he needs the 85,000 so we need to find a lender to finance that portion. Would a lender be willing to split a mortgage like this? How would we go about doing it?
**A: first, what is the existing underlying mortgage balance, if any? If the balance is more than the $85K, then run the numbers again.
If the exisiting mortgage balance is lower than $85K, then it may work provided the new mortgage is in first position and the Seller is willing to subordinate his mortgage to be in 2nd position.

denlocke

2nd Position?

Do you mean that he would be 2nd position on the Title work? I believe he knows about this.

HomeGuru

denlocke said:
I believe that 83,000 is the payoff and that is why he needs the cash.

**A: ok, then have your lender figure out how much the loan needs to be because it must be a lot higher to cover the closing costs, points, prorations etc. so that the net cash equals $83K +.

denlocke

how much is alot?

How much is "alot higher"? Another question I have is, what about PMI? I don't effectually have a down payment for the 83,000 (that may be another issue) so I will probably have to pay PMI, right? But I will only have to pay PMI on the 85,000 portion, correct?

HomeGuru

denlocke said:
How much is "alot higher"? Another question I have is, what about PMI? I don't effectually have a down payment for the 83,000 (that may be another issue) so I will probably have to pay PMI, right? But I will only have to pay PMI on the 85,000 portion, correct?

**A: consult with a mortgage broker.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">