• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

step parent ordered to carry primary insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Antigone*

Well, the situation is I have full custody of my 2 children from first marriage...Their Dad was ordered to carry primary insurance on the both of them.....when i remarried i gained 2 step children and had a daughter with my new husband....
I offered to my ex husband that IF we got an exemption of one of the children then to save us both some money I would add the children to my current husbands, much better, insurance plan. Although it does not cost him anymore to carry my 2 boys it is the principal that only the biological mother and father are ordered to care and provide for the children.
Why should HE provide better insurance when he is not party to my divorce? And if he does should he not reap the benefits of ONE of the TWO children.
I am confused YOU got what YOU asked for. It costs you nothing extra. Why stick it to the ex that way?

Antigone*

I would like to know what the court order says word for word. I think the OP may be playing word games with us.

In negotion between my attorney and my ex's attorney I proposed that we change primary insurance to my husbands insurance and then in return for that my ex husband would let me claim one of the two children on my taxes. I have full custody and from what i understand on the IRS website I legally can claim both of them and the family Judge does not trump the IRS....I will consult an attorney before I need to file taxes next year just to verify!

In response to #19 reply.....i believe that word games would be much easier in this situation...sometimes the truth in essence is much more difficult to understand than a lie!

The order in place now says that due to substantial medical bills my ex husband will carry primary insurance with his place of employment where he has worked the past 19 years and since i dont have medical insurance ( stay at home moms dont seem to get any sort of legal benefits, only the benefit of raising her own children and installing knowledge into them) my husband now suggested that we put my children on his health insurance where he has worked for the past 14 years**************

Today in court, my attorney met with the opposing attorney and the judge in chambers, the judge said that he was preparing the order of several items but one was to put the children on my husbands insurance which used to be secondary! My ex husband has the same job and insurance but its not as good as the insurance that is my current husbands. Understand?

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
In negotion between my attorney and my ex's attorney I proposed that we change primary insurance to my husbands insurance and then in return for that my ex husband would let me claim one of the two children on my taxes. I have full custody and from what i understand on the IRS website I legally can claim both of them and the family Judge does not trump the IRS....I will consult an attorney before I need to file taxes next year just to verify!
You will find out that you CAN be found in contempt of court if you disobey a court order. So if the court states dad gets to claim the children, then dad gets to claim the children. You will be required to sign the proper form to allow him to do so. If you do not, you are going to find yourself on the wrong end of contempt.

In response to #19 reply.....i believe that word games would be much easier in this situation...sometimes the truth in essence is much more difficult to understand than a lie!
Copy the ENTIRE portion relating to health insurance WORD FOR WORD. Because you have shown an amazing ineptitude in understanding court orders and the law.
The order in place now says that due to substantial medical bills my ex husband will carry primary insurance with his place of employment where he has worked the past 19 years and since i dont have medical insurance ( stay at home moms dont seem to get any sort of legal benefits, only the benefit of raising her own children and installing knowledge into them) my husband now suggested that we put my children on his health insurance where he has worked for the past 14 years**************
Then add the children to your husband's insurance. that way they have dual coverage.

Today in court, my attorney met with the opposing attorney and the judge in chambers, the judge said that he was preparing the order of several items but one was to put the children on my husbands insurance which used to be secondary! My ex husband has the same job and insurance but its not as good as the insurance that is my current husbands. Understand?
Which is what you stated you wanted so why are you griping? The order cannot state that your husband MUST cover the children but can state that you agree to have the children added to your husband's insurance as it is available to you to insure the children. Understand? (Yeah, I know the answer to that will be no.)

Life is give and take! He wants it all but is willing to give nothing! Upon speaking with my attorney today i discovered that actually the irs dictates whom shall be given a deduction! The family judge does not overrule the federal government! I found that interesting!
Second: I am not trying to "stick" anything to him! Fact is my husband is fine with carrying my children on his insurance policy, if, and only if he is then given a benefit of claiming just one of the two children!
Give and take!
Also, i have full legal and physical custody of my children so just imagine what type of person i am dealing with for a court to order such a thing!
Anyone can be a father.....but it takes a special someone to be a "daddy"!

TinkerBelleLuvr

YOU can be found to be in comtempt of court for failing to follow a court order. It is up to you to make sure that the order is followed.

Child Counseling Order

I am once again asking for help! One of you senior members posted something about posting questions, etc. It helped explain to us who are new how to post, start new threads, reply......I really need to know where I can find this to print it off....I need to know how to do this correctly. Thanks!

I do have a new question and think that I am to post it here? Sorry if I am wrong.
Court order today:

Comes now the Respondent,(my ex husbands name), in person and by councel, (attorney), and files his Verified Petition for Court Ordered Counceling Pursuant to (numbers with dashes?) to Benefit the Parties' Minor Child, (My sons name), in the following words and figures.

And the Court, being duly advised in the premise, hereby grants said petition and orders the parties, their spouses, and (my sons name) to coordinate counseling sessions, individually and/or collectively for (my sons name) benefit as directed by the councelor, (Councelors name and place of employment) so long as said counseling occurs so that any existing Protective Order is not violated and/or compromised.

I must be dumb but could you please explain this to me? My son is 11, and has been abused by his step-mom for 5 years now. The prosecutor filed a "No Contact Order", and her court date is the end of July.
If you need more information just ask please, I am confused? We have been in counseling for 3 years now for my sons sake. Each time we are told that we are almost to the point of just having to come 1 time a month, his step-mom does something else and all trust is then broken for him.

Last edited:

LdiJ

I am once again asking for help! One of you senior members posted something about posting questions, etc. It helped explain to us who are new how to post, start new threads, reply......I really need to know where I can find this to print it off....I need to know how to do this correctly. Thanks!

I do have a new question and think that I am to post it here? Sorry if I am wrong.
Court order today:

Comes now the Respondent,(my ex husbands name), in person and by councel, (attorney), and files his Verified Petition for Court Ordered Counceling Pursuant to (numbers with dashes?) to Benefit the Parties' Minor Child, (My sons name), in the following words and figures.

And the Court, being duly advised in the premise, hereby grants said petition and orders the parties, their spouses, and (my sons name) to coordinate counseling sessions, individually and/or collectively for (my sons name) benefit as directed by the councelor, (Councelors name and place of employment) so long as said counseling occurs so that any existing Protective Order is not violated and/or compromised.

I must be dumb but could you please explain this to me? My son is 11, and has been abused by his step-mom for 5 years now. The prosecutor filed a "No Contact Order", and her court date is the end of July.
If you need more information just ask please, I am confused? We have been in counseling for 3 years now for my sons sake. Each time we are told that we are almost to the point of just having to come 1 time a month, his step-mom does something else and all trust is then broken for him.
If the child has already been in counseling for three years then I don't blame you for being confused. Is everyone involved in the case aware that the child is already in counseling?

Does dad participate in the counseling at all? If not, who does?

Yes, Everyone is aware of the counceling. My son, then 8, told me he "wanted to commit suicide". I tried to be calm and asked why would he say that? He told me that he didnt want to have to go to his dads because of his step mom......she has issues. I really am not a bitter ex...I want my ex to be happy. She is really mean to this son but super nice to my older son? I dont understand.
When stepmom left 3inch long bruises on my sons upper arms from grabbing him and sitting him on the chair...the Judge ordered Emergency Suspended parenting time.....He had just gotten back visitation fully in Oct 2009. On January 1,2010 my ex called and said that he was bringing the kids home because he and his wife needed to talk.
That is when I found out she had,(an order is in place from the Guardian Ad Litem, that my son was to stay in counceling, and step mom was to NEVER and it really did say never discipline either of the boys). Well, she went after him, shoved dad out of her way, held him on the bed and preceded to beat his butt.
So now we are starting over with counceling, or at least thats how our councelor said it....she told me that since the trust that had been slowly built up was once again broken that we would have to start all over with him.
I got this order in the mail....really dont understand what it is saying?
Dad goes to counceling whenever the councelor says he is to be there, step mom also comes when she is told too....I sit in the waiting room. At this point though with the criminal case pending she cant even communicate on the phone with counceling. My son is petrified to go back to his dads, I am really tring to be positive with him, but this is really getting to me bad. I feel helpless when the court keeps sending him back there. His dad has his parenting time re-stored, kinda. He can have all his regular times, just not around her?
Help me Please......Im confused! Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">