• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step Up vs. Estate Exclusion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffmatt

What is the name of your state? Texas

Since tax laws keep changing, it's hard to know when you might need a step-up in basis as opposed to a reduction in the size of your estate. I'm considering the following plan for a client in order to allow as much flexibility and creditor protection as possible without getting into IDGT's with promissory notes and asset swaps, etc.

The 3 big concerns are creditors, income tax and estate tax.

T leaves all assets in a testamentary trust, naming his child, C, as the trustee. Trustee may, in his discretion, pay trust principal and income to C for HEMS. This does not create a general power of appointment in C, and so the assets are protected from his creditors and will not be treated as part of his estate for tax purposes.

The trust can give C the following 2 different powers of appointment:

1. A limited power, during his lifetime, to appoint trust property and income to anyone he wants, except that he cannot appoint anything to himself, his creditors, his estate or his estate's creditors. (This limited POA will not cause inclusion in C's estate, nor expose property to his creditors)

2. A testamentary power to appoint trust property and income to anyone, conditioned on the making of a provision in his will which expressly states the testamentary general power of appointment is being exercised. If the power is not exercised, then the trust goes to C's descendants upon C's death. (This general POA will cause inclusion in C's estate*)

* The only property to be included in C's estate will be that over which he has a general POA at the time of his death. Also, under Texas law (and maybe other states), our Uniform Trust Code Section 112.035 states that a beneficiary's creditors cannot attach trust property merely because the beneficiary has or exercises a testamentary power of appointment.

This combination could work, couldn't it? C could rock along and see what happens as he gets older. Maybe he gets a lot richer; maybe he becomes poor. Maybe the estate tax is repealed, or maybe the exemption is lowered back to $5 million. Maybe the capital gains tax is repealed. Who knows?

All the while, none of C's creditors, or the creditors of any of C's descendants, will ever get to the trust while it continues to exist. (Trust creditors will always be able to get to trust property, so it's not a perfect world, for sure.)

Whatever the case, once C exercises the limited POA during his life, the property will belong to his kids, and it will not be included in the value of his taxable estate. He can go this route if there is a looming estate tax concern. The kids will not receive a step-up on those items, but estate taxes (almost certainly) will have been avoided.

Whatever trust property he doesn't give to his kids during life will be included in the gross value of his estate. It will receive a step-up.

So... he can dump the low-appreciation assets to his kids during life, right before his death. He can retain the valuable property with a low basis.** Since he has a general POA over just the retained property at the time of his death, it will get a step up.

** including both appreciated property and valuable property with a depreciated basis, so it can be depreciated all over again.

Basically, C can decide how much of which property goes where, in order to custom tailor his plan in whatever way works best at whatever time he needs to be "locked in."

No IDGT swaps and promissory notes to deal with. No questionable tactics, like appointing "trust protectors" who could be considered as people not having an adverse interest, etc. The plan above seems to be straight-up textbook, but I've never seen it proposed. I ran it by a Wills & Estate professor and a CPA who works on estates. Both stated it looks like the plan would accomplish the 3 purposes.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Any pitfalls you can see?

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? Texas

Since tax laws keep changing, it's hard to know when you might need a step-up in basis as opposed to a reduction in the size of your estate. I'm considering the following plan for a client in order to allow as much flexibility and creditor protection as possible without getting into IDGT's with promissory notes and asset swaps, etc.

The 3 big concerns are creditors, income tax and estate tax.

T leaves all assets in a testamentary trust, naming his child, C, as the trustee. Trustee may, in his discretion, pay trust principal and income to C for HEMS. This does not create a general power of appointment in C, and so the assets are protected from his creditors and will not be treated as part of his estate for tax purposes.

The trust can give C the following 2 different powers of appointment:

1. A limited power, during his lifetime, to appoint trust property and income to anyone he wants, except that he cannot appoint anything to himself, his creditors, his estate or his estate's creditors. (This limited POA will not cause inclusion in C's estate, nor expose property to his creditors)

2. A testamentary power to appoint trust property and income to anyone, conditioned on the making of a provision in his will which expressly states the testamentary general power of appointment is being exercised. If the power is not exercised, then the trust goes to C's descendants upon C's death. (This general POA will cause inclusion in C's estate*)

* The only property to be included in C's estate will be that over which he has a general POA at the time of his death. Also, under Texas law (and maybe other states), our Uniform Trust Code Section 112.035 states that a beneficiary's creditors cannot attach trust property merely because the beneficiary has or exercises a testamentary power of appointment.

This combination could work, couldn't it? C could rock along and see what happens as he gets older. Maybe he gets a lot richer; maybe he becomes poor. Maybe the estate tax is repealed, or maybe the exemption is lowered back to $5 million. Maybe the capital gains tax is repealed. Who knows?

All the while, none of C's creditors, or the creditors of any of C's descendants, will ever get to the trust while it continues to exist. (Trust creditors will always be able to get to trust property, so it's not a perfect world, for sure.)

Whatever the case, once C exercises the limited POA during his life, the property will belong to his kids, and it will not be included in the value of his taxable estate. He can go this route if there is a looming estate tax concern. The kids will not receive a step-up on those items, but estate taxes (almost certainly) will have been avoided.

Whatever trust property he doesn't give to his kids during life will be included in the gross value of his estate. It will receive a step-up.

So... he can dump the low-appreciation assets to his kids during life, right before his death. He can retain the valuable property with a low basis.** Since he has a general POA over just the retained property at the time of his death, it will get a step up.

** including both appreciated property and valuable property with a depreciated basis, so it can be depreciated all over again.

Basically, C can decide how much of which property goes where, in order to custom tailor his plan in whatever way works best at whatever time he needs to be "locked in."

No IDGT swaps and promissory notes to deal with. No questionable tactics, like appointing "trust protectors" who could be considered as people not having an adverse interest, etc. The plan above seems to be straight-up textbook, but I've never seen it proposed. I ran it by a Wills & Estate professor and a CPA who works on estates. Both stated it looks like the plan would accomplish the 3 purposes.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Any pitfalls you can see?
What kind of client? What business are you in?

jeffmatt

I am an attorney. It's a client with a lot of appreciated land, which might be sold by the kids at some point, but they aren't sure.

Just Blue

I am an attorney. It's a client with a lot of appreciated land, which might be sold by the kids at some point, but they aren't sure.
Jeff...Do you realize that the vast majority of the members of this site are laypersons? Is your client aware that you are seeking advice from random people on the internet regarding their estate planning?

jeffmatt

Jeff...Do you realize that the vast majority of the members of this site are laypersons? Is your client aware that you are seeking advice from random people on the internet regarding their estate planning?
I'm new here and figured some pros would be posting. I'm definitely not seeking advice from any laypersons. Thanks for the heads-up.

Just Blue

I'm new here and figured some pros would be posting. I'm definitely not seeking advice from any laypersons. Thanks for the heads-up.
Did you read the TOS of this site? It's just on the bottom of every page.

FreeAdvice.com has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding information and "advice" free since 1995 with thousands of professionally prepared and reviewed articles, questions and answers in more than 100 categories in the Question and Answer pages at FreeAdvice.com. THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS AND OTHER FORUM PAGES WERE NOT REVIEWED BY THE EDITORIAL STAFF OR ATTORNEYS AT FREEADVICE.COM and are provided AS IS. The FreeAdvice Forums are intended to enable consumers to benefit from the experience of other consumers who have faced similar legal issues. FreeAdvice does NOT vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any posting on the Forums or the identity or qualifications of any person asking questions or responding on the Forums. Use of the Forums is subject to our Disclaimer and our Terms and Conditions of use which prohibit advertisements, solicitations or other commercial messages, or false, defamatory, abusive, vulgar, or harassing messages, and subject violators to a fee for each improper posting. All postings reflect the views of the author but become the property of FreeAdvice. Information on FreeAdvice or a Forum is never a substitute for personal advice from an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction you have retained to represent you.

It's very curious to me that you would seek advice from a stranger, rather than ask another estate attorney in Dallas that you know and trust.

quincy

There are attorneys who post to this forum but even they cannot offer legal advice - only legal information.

You should seek out advice from an attorney in your own jurisdiction to help you help your client - or, perhaps better, refer your client to someone who is familiar with this area of the law.

Good luck.

jeffmatt

It's ok with me if any moderator wants to delete the thread. I thought I'd compare notes with other pros. If this isn't the place for that, no problem.

jeffmatt

Also, let me be clear I am not soliciting or advertising here. I don't go to forums for that purpose. It looks like this might not be the place for me, and so I don't think I'll be sticking around. Thanks, though.

quincy

Also, let me be clear I am not soliciting or advertising here. I don't go to forums for that purpose. It looks like this might not be the place for me, and so I don't think I'll be sticking around. Thanks, though.
No need to apologize, Jeff. You are not alone in misunderstanding what this forum can provide. We can be a good source of legal information but for specific advice - which is what you seem to be seeking here - it is best if you ask professionals in your area. Sorry.

Just Blue

It's ok with me if any moderator wants to delete the thread. I thought I'd compare notes with other pros. If this isn't the place for that, no problem.
The thread doesn't need to be deleted...it will serve a purpose for others that may have a similar situation. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">