• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stimulus check with a judgment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Opening another account is a possibility to consider.

I read that, if a recipient receives social security benefits and has been having the checks directly deposited, the government will directly deposit the stimulus checks to that same account rather than using tax return information.
We don't know yet for sure how the IRS will make the payments. The IRS itself says on its website that it has no information on the payments yet at all. Until it announces that information we just have to wait and see. But the initial information I had suggested the IRS preference for the payments would be where tax refunds were authorized as the IRS can most easily generate payments to those accounts. The IRS will have to work out matching information with SSA and other agencies to figure out what other accounts to deposit the money into. Given the ancient state of the IRS service center computers that may be harder than you'd think.

Of course, who can trust the media, huh? It’s all fake news and the reporters do not understand anything.
I have never used Trump's phrase "fake news" for the media in general nor do I plan to do so. I trust that most U.S. reporters try to do a good job with their stories. Of course some news organizations deserve more trust than others based on their track records. But I have also noticed that when it comes to highly technical subjects like law, taxes, medicine, etc general interest reporters often do not get all the details right or leave out details because they lack a background in the area. That's not a criticism; I wouldn't expect someone without a background in a technical subject to be able to explain that subject well. They of course often do consult experts but still some information gets lost in translation, as it were. If the reporter does not know the right questions to ask or does not appreciate the significance of the response the expert gives the reporting falls short. As a result when I see reporting on those sorts subjects I prefer to rely on reporters whom I know do have a background in the subject on which they are reporting. When you compare articles written by someone with that background in the subject and those written by general journalists you will notice the difference in the level of detail and accuracy. No one should ever simply accept that everything they hear on the news or on the internet is true. It's important to take into account the source of that information — both the organization and the particular reporter. There is a reason why some reporters over the years have a high reputation for trust and others do not. Not all reporters are good or get things right. So when you tell me you read "somewhere" how this will work, I can't rely much on that because I don't know the source of your information. Maybe it's good, maybe not. After all, I don't know where you get your news. ;)

quincy

Of course it is important to know the source of information to better determine if the information provided is reliable. One should always verify - hence my continued reluctance to blindly accept everything you say. I have no idea who you are.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Of course it is important to know the source of information to better determine if the information provided is reliable. One should always verify - hence my continued reluctance to blindly accept everything you say. I have no idea who you are.
I have no problem with that. Indeed, for that reason I do try to support my answers with the source of my information when I can. Then you don't have to just go on blind faith.

And I trust given your position above you'll similarly understand my reluctance to blindly accept what you say. I have no idea who you are either. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">